Purpose: An Honors English Society strives to
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
Sigma Tau Delta encourages students with an interest in English to submit papers to Sigma Tau Delta’s international convention and engage in community initiatives that promote a love for reading.
- President: Chloe Harrison
- Vice President: Emily Shaw
- Secretary: Lauren Dean
- Historian: Holly Kubiak
Sigma Tau Delta is an international English honor society with nearly 900 chapters located across the US and the rest of the globe. OBU's chapter celebrates the importance of literature not only in the lives of English majors, but also for our campus, our culture, and all of humanity. Members of Sigma Tau Delta have helped with service projects that benefit local libraries and charities. They also put on events like Hipster Night, where students play games, listen to live music, and perform poetry readings (while playing into the stereotype that most Bison are Chaco-wearing, Mumford-listening hipsters). They also put together the Scriblerus, below, OBU's own literary journal that features original poetry and prose from students.
One of the highlights of Sigma Tau Delta membership is the opportunity attend the international convention held each year. In the past, students have presented essays on authors and poets, as well as their own creative works. Others have attended for the opportunity to network, discuss literature with other English-lovers, sit in on career workshops, and listen to panels. Read more about our members' experience at convention here.
*This requirement may also be interpreted as "have an overall B average in general scholarship" (e.g., 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale).
If you are interested in becoming a member of Sigma Tau Delta, fill out this form and return it to Dr. Ezell (Owens Hall 208 or OBU Box 61253).
Download Scriblerus 2018 (PDF)