Bison Memories Oral History Project
In October, 2023, the OBU Alumni Association, in partnership with Publishing Concepts, Inc., will launch an oral history project to help preserve the stories of our alumni and friends. PCI will contact OBU alumni and friends and ask them to share their stories. Alumni and friends can choose to participate or not. Alumni that do participate will have their stories recorded, transcribed, edited and categorized. Stories will then be the property of OBU and will become a permanent part of the University Archives. Stories will also become part of a printed publication that will be available for purchase at the completion of the project.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information and a story about Oklahoma Baptist University. Tell me more about the project.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for Oklahoma Baptist University. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Oklahoma Baptist University and how the school helped to shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
2. Does Oklahoma Baptist University benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school
- Revenue (if applicable) – generates non-dues revenue for alumni programs
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
3. How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law.
4. I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at Oklahoma Baptist University. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Oklahoma Baptist University at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated Oklahoma Baptist University update line at 1-866-561-6373.
- If you are living internationally or are unable to call the update line, please email email@example.com. PCI will send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
5. How can I participate if I am Deaf/Hard of Hearing?
If you would like to participate and are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. PCI will send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
6. Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for the school/alumni association. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before April 5, 2024, by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / email@example.com.
7. I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time before April 5, 2024, to share your story.
8. I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
9. Can anyone purchase a book?
The Oklahoma Baptist University Oral History Publication is available for sale to Oklahoma Baptist University alumni and friends.
10. When will I receive my book?
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in October of 2023, the books will be distributed in November of 2024.
11. I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.