Skip area navigation

Tax Reporting Requirements

All international students, scholars, and their dependents present in the U.S. during any part of the calendar year are responsible for filing annual tax forms the following calendar year.  

Filing tax forms is required for all F and J visa holders, including dependents.  This is a requirement even if you did not work or earn income in the U.S.

If you have not received any source of income you’ll need to file Form 8843.

If you have received income in the last calendar year then you will need to file Form 8843 and may also need to file Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR.

Internal Revenue Service Information

For detailed information about international student tax, please follow the link below. 

International students residing in Oklahoma are also responsible to fill out Oklahoma 511NR in relation to their taxes for the State of Oklahoma.

Tax Preparation Services

It is the responsibility of each student to prepare or seek assistance in the preparation of his or her taxes.  There are companies that provide tax services specifically for International students.   

Online options: