Teaching online is a unique enterprise which presents a vast array of opportunities, as well as challenges. Online courses provide learners with the ability to take courses which otherwise may not be available; however, such classes can be challenging because they lack the advantages of in-person gatherings for instruction and community building. As such, online courses have to be built specifically for the online learner, addressing obstacles and utilizing digital tools to provide a robust educational experience.
The Center for Teaching Excellence is committed to coming alongside faculty to help ensure that online courses are properly developed and delivered. As part of this process, several resources have been developed to assist instructors:
- Online Course Standards: Minimum guidelines for online course development and instructor engagement.
- Teaching Online Timeline: Workflow for online courses prior to and during the term.
- 8 Week Checklistt: Weekly tool for faculty to utilize in ensuring engagement in 8 week courses.
- 16 Week Checklist: Weekly tool for faculty to utilize in ensuring engagement in 16 week courses.
- Online Pedagogy: PowerPoint focusing on the unique aspects of online education.
- Online Course Design: PowerPoint covering basic principles of online course design.