Skip area navigation

FERPA for Parents

What access do I have to my student's education record?

Now that your child is in college, FERPA transfers ownership of the educational records directly to your son or daughter.

According to FERPA, college students (regardless of their age) are considered responsible adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. While parents understandably have an interest in a student’s academic progress, they are not automatically granted access to a student’s records without written consent of the student. Information regarding education records is best obtained by direct communication between the parent and the student. If desired, students may grant access to parents or other third parties by adding them as a Third Party Designee on their FERPA Consent to Release form.

In addition, parent(s) may be notified if a student under 21 years of age is found responsible for a violation involving use or possession of alcohol and drugs. FERPA regulations allow, but do not require, higher education institutions to provide notice to parents when a student violates federal, state, or local laws related to alcohol or drugs.

How are grades distributed?

Final course grades and seven week grades are available to students through Self Service Banner.

How do I obtain access to my student's financial account?

A student may provide parental access to his/her financial account by adding them as a Third Party Designee on their FERPA Consent to Release form.

What happens during crisis situations and emergencies?

If non-directory information is needed to resolve a crisis or emergency situation, an education institution may release that information if the institution determines that the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals. Factors considered in making this assessment are: the severity of the threat to the health or safety of those involved; the need for the information; the time required to deal with the emergency; and the ability of the parties to whom the information is to be given to deal with the emergency.

Questions or Concerns

General questions may be directed to the Academic Center.  Comments or suggestions about this website information should be addressed to:

OBU Academic Center
500 W. University
OBU Box 61173
Shawnee, OK 74804

phone: 405.585.5100