Skip area navigation

Oklahoma City outlasts Lady Bison

February 11, 2005

With the win OBU falls to 7-5 in the Sooner Athletic Conference and 19-5 overall. OCU remains undefeated in the SAC with a 13-0 conference record and is 22-4 on the year.

The Stars got 33 combined points in the paint from Mariam Sy and Sadio Sangre' with Sy dumping in 18 and Sangre scoring 15. Natasha Doh also scored 15 for the Stars.

Only one Lady Bison was in double figures and that was Tetyanna Klimenko who scored 10 while grabbing six rebounds.

Turnovers and free throws were the achilles heel for OBU as the Lady Bison turned the ball over 26 times and hit only 33.3 (4/12) percent from the line.

"We did one good thing out the three needed to win," said Head Coach John McCullough. "We rebounded well, but we didn't take care of the ball. We knew coming into this game that turnovers were going to be the key of the game."

OBU did out rebound OCU41 to 35.

The Lady Bison got started early on the offensive end as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead and held a five point lead twice in the first 6:15. Sy helped the Stars take their biggest lead of the by four at 25-21 as she hit back-to-back goals on the tail end of a 6-0 run. Kelli Welborn put OBU back up by one with a three pointer from the top of the key to take the lead at 26-25 with 1:59 in the half. OCU took their last lead of the half at 27-26 after Fabiana Araujo hit a field goal just outside the lane.

Rachel Heins and Welborn contributed on a 5-0 run that put the Lady Bison up 31-27 with 1:03 to play. Necy DeVance hit a pair of free throws at the end of the half to bring the Stars within two at 31-29.

In the second half OBU raced out to a five point lead on two occasions (38-35 and 40-35), but that was the biggest lead OBU held all night.

Sy then sparked a 7-0 run with two straight field goals before DeVance ended the run with a three to put the Stars on top 42-40 with 11:15 left.

OBU took the lead back one last time at 45-44 after Priscilla Alves drained a trey with 9:37 left; however that was the last time the Lady Bison led all night.

The Lady Bison stayed with OCU the majority of the night, but began to unravel with six minutes left as OCU went on an 8-0 run over the next 2:20 to take a 59-49 lead with 3:42 to play. OCU put OBU away in the final three minutes of the game and took their biggest lead of the game at 14 at the end of the game at 65-41.

"We controlled the tempo for 32 minutes of the game," said McCullough. "We still controlled the tempo at the end of the game, but there was that spurt where we just threw it away and missed free throws. We just couldn't get anything going for us in that stretch."

The Lady Bison next hosts St. Gregory's Saturday at OBU for the second Holy Wars on MacArthur Street match up of the year.