About the Circle
Women of Vision is a giving circle at Oklahoma Baptist University that offers a unique opportunity to join other women who desire to create a valuable financial source to support, promote, sustain, and enhance the university’s mission.
Women of Vision exists to encourage women to be philanthropic leaders and to maximize the impact of their giving. Through the giving circle, individual contributions are united and magnified through a collective voice supporting the university. Gifts collected from each member are pooled, and together, the Circle members decide how the money should be directed on Bison Hill.
Membership is open to alumnae and friends who understand the potential women have in making a significant impact on OBU, her students, programs, faculty, and staff.
View a downloadable PDF brochure.
To empower women through a collective and influential voice and enable them to make a significant financial contribution to the students, programs, faculty, staff, and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University.
Women of Vision at Oklahoma Baptist University exists to…
- Educate women about the exemplary diverse people, innovative programs, and visionary progress at OBU.
- Enhance programs at OBU through the women's knowledge, talents, skills, and philanthropic ministries.
- Engage alumnae, friends, and OBU community in enriching academic, social, and spiritual life on Bison Hill.
- Equip women with resources, opportunities, and challenges that empower them professionally, personally, academically, and spiritually.
- Encourage women to be influential and distinguished philanthropic leaders at OBU.
- Enjoy the power, impact, and fulfillment of ‘giving together’ with unified purpose, direction, and realization of goals.
How The Giving Circle Works
- Each member contributes $1,000 annually.
A special rate of $500 per year is offered to Faculty/Staff (or their spouses), as well as current students and recent graduates (past 5 years) of OBU.
- The members review a selection of OBU projects that are in need of funds, and each member votes for the project she deems most worthy.
Women of Vision will hold an annual event in September to review projects and vote on how to award the money. If attendance is not possible, members may vote by absentee ballot prior to the event. For membership this year, contributions must be received by December 31.
- The grant is awarded to selected recipient(s).
Award(s) will be granted after the Annual Event.
- Members stay informed about the progress of the funded project and can celebrate the impact achieved by giving together.
Members will have the following benefits:
- Play an integral role in directing financial resources to and making a significant impact on students, faculty, and staff at Oklahoma Baptist University;
- The opportunity to connect and network with other women;
- Access to valuable educational resources and opportunities that empower women professionally, personally, academically, and spiritually;
- Celebrate the joy of giving together and the difference it makes.
2017 Annual Event
In its third year, Women of Vision saw 89 members join together to raise $75,000. Since its inception in 2015, the group has invested nearly $200,000 in the life and mission of Oklahoma Baptist University.
The third Annual Event was held on Thursday, September 28, 2017. Jamy Fisher, 1994 OBU alum, delivered a touching keynote address entitled “The New Definition of Greatness," with a stirring reminder about the potential within each of us to make a positive difference.
Each year, members gather for the Annual Event to determine, by vote, which project to fund with their collective gift. View the 2017 projects for consideration -- as always, it was a hard decision! After some deliberation, the members cast their votes. The tough decision was affirmed by a close count -- the Campus Ministry Center Renewal project won by just ONE vote!
The $75,000 investment from Women of Vision will enable Spiritual Life to offer students space and resources for enhancing meaningful, spiritual encounters. The home of Spiritual Life will be moving from Montgomery Hall to the Geiger Center in the heart of campus. The project will include renovating the area in the Geiger Center, creating offices and a meeting space that will offer more room than the current student lounge in Montgomery Hall. Spiritual Life will still have its own space, but being housed right next to Student Life will offer students a one-stop-shop for most of their campus needs. The actual renovation will not begin until immediately after graduation in May 2018 so as not to disrupt the flow of student activities during this school year.
Spiritual Life is the heart of Oklahoma Baptist University. Through the collective gift of Women of Vision, the university is able to emphasize the importance of Campus Ministry and ensure all students are offered a valuable and transformational experience on Bison Hill!
2016 Annual Event
In its second year, membership to Women of Vision increased from 58 to 78, and the total collective gift was nearly $70,000 (up over $20,000 from the inaugural year in 2015).
2015 Annual Event
Women of Vision launched in 2015, and the inaugural year saw lots of work – brainstorming, planning, marketing, etc. With an outstanding Advisory Council established, the group surpassed its base goal of 50 women and celebrated a total of 58 charter members! In all, almost $47,000 was gifted.
The first Annual Event for Women of Vision was on September 24th, 2015 – a time to gather as members, review projects in need of funds, and decide how to award the collective funding. It also served as the time to meet other members, fellowship together, and just have a really good time.
The 2015 Annual Event was a wonderful time when many women, who share similar visions and values, come together. Ronda Mikles, 1975 OBU alum and a Women of Vision Advisory Council member, delivered an inspiring and encouraging message about the power there is in working, serving, and simply DOING together.
The members also had the opportunity to hear about the projects on the ballot and then decide how to direct the generous financial gift given by the group. View the 2015 projects for consideration – all very worthy of the WOV funds. The 58 member votes were evenly spread across the board, and the project that was chosen – Additional Campus Lighting – won by only a few votes.
Because of Women of Vision and the $47,000 that was given, approximately 25 additional lighting fixtures will soon be installed on campus as part of phase one of the OBU campus lighting improvement plan. See what types of lights will be installed and where. You will note the majority of the Sternberg, 12-foot light poles will be installed around WMU, Kerr, and Montgomery Hall, adding much-needed lighting near student dorms. Three additional mast street lights will be added to University drive, enhancing the lighting of the main street through campus, and about a dozen of the smaller, bollard lights will be installed along the walkway between Sarkeys and Shawnee Hall.
Providentially, the morning of our 2015 Annual Event for Women of Vision, Dr. Whitlock and the OBU administration were petitioned by student body leaders for additional campus lighting. Based on concerns from these students and in conjunction with facilities management, lighting in the areas mentioned above is a necessity. The total cost for this project is around $65,000. The financial gift through Women of Vision will help offset OBU’s investment, allowing the university to provide our student body more peace of mind through the added safety and security, not to mention the improvement it will make to the overall look and feel of our already beautiful campus!
Joining the Circle
- Membership requires a commitment of $1,000 per year. A special rate of $500 per year is offered to Faculty/Staff (or their spouses), as well as current students and recent graduates (past 5 years) of OBU.
- Acceptable gifts for membership include: cash, checks, credit card payments, and securities.
- Gifts can be fulfilled through a one-time contribution or through pledge made in payments.
- OBU faculty and staff members may use payroll deduction to fulfill their pledge.
- Give the gift of membership:
- Sponsorship: provide a membership to the Circle for a current OBU student or recent graduate (past five years). ($500 annual gift)
- Gift: consider gifting a circle membership to a family member or friend. ($1,000 annual gift)
Giving a membership is a great way to connect women with others who desire to support the mission of Oklahoma Baptist University. ‘Women of Vision’ provides them with exposure to wonderful resources, relationships, and experiences, as well as the opportunity to instill within them a sense of community and the importance of philanthropy.
For questions or more information, please contact Gretchen Trimble at 405-585-5426 or email@example.com.