Dr. Mario Melendez
Auguie Henry Chair of Old Testament
Assistant Professor of Old Testament and Biblical Studies
|Office Location||Montgomery Hall, 211|
|OBU Mailbox #||61273|
The writings and opinions expressed on social media platforms are those of the authors, and may not necessarily reflect those of OBU.
Dr. Mario Melendez holds a PhD in biblical interpretation from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary (NOBTS).
Prior to joining OBU, Dr. Mario served both the church and the academy. Dr. Mario most recently served as senior pastor of Gretna Covenant Church in New Orleans (2015-2020). Before pastoring in New Orleans, he served in Hispanic, Asian, and English churches as a multi-ethnic ministry strategist. In the academy Dr. Mario has served at NOBTS as an adjunct [Español]; Memphis Center for Urban Theological Studies as academic affairs specialist; Victory University (Memphis TN) as Old Testament Adjunct and academic counselor; Union University as Contemporary Christianity adjunct and founder/coach of the Union Judo Club.
Dr. Mario’s research interests include Biblical Interpretation, Ancient Near Eastern backgrounds and themes, language acquisition and multi-ethnic psychology and ministry. As a multi-ethnic believer (Filipino, Cajun French, Spanish) Dr. Mario has been a guest lecturer on multi-ethnic ministry topics.
Dr. Mario and his wife, Rebekah, married in 2012 and have a German shepherd. His wife has served as a licensed social-worker (LMSW) in Memphis and New Orleans. In his spare time Dr. Mario enjoys practicing Judo, Karate and Jujitsu. He also is an avid maker of furniture and other things.
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
PhD, Biblical Interpretation, Minor - Old Testament, 2019
Dissertation: “Evocations of Covenant in Habakkuk.”
ThM, Biblical Studies, 2017
Union University, Jackson, Tennessee
Master of Christian Studies (M.C.S.), 2012
Leavell College, New Orleans, Louisiana
Bachelor of Christian Ministry (B.A.), 2010
Mid-America Theological Seminary, Memphis, TN
Additional Graduate Studies
- Old Testament Survey
- General Epistles
- Hebrew Writings
- Poetic / Wisdom Literature
- Paul and His Theology
- Evangelical Theological Society (2012–Present)
- Society of Biblical Literature (2012–Present)
- Third Culture Faithful: Empowered Ministry for Multi-Ethnic Believers and Congregations. Rowman & Littlefield with Duke Divinity. (Forthcoming 2020)
- Covenant Evocations in Habakkuk: The Rhetoric of Pending Exile. Glossa House. (Forthcoming 2020).
- Daily Devotions in the Biblical Languages 12 vols. Glossa House. (vol. 1 Forthcoming 2020).
- “The Role of the Holy Spirit in Evangelism: Aspects of Lukan Pneumatology” in Engage: A Festschrift in Honor of Dr. Chuck Kelley. Birmingham: Iron Stream Media, 2019.
- 2019 E.T.S. Southwestern Regional, “Holy Spirit in Evangelism: Lukan Pneumatology”
- 2018 E.T.S. Southwestern Regional, “The Davidic Covenant As An Interpretational Key”
- 2017 E.T.S. Southwestern Regional, “Biblical Theology of Habakkuk 2:4b, which interpretation is correct?”
- 2019 Demonology, Union Baptist Theological Seminary New Orleans LA
- 2016 Multi-Ethnic Discipleship, Evangelical Covenant Church Mid Winter Conference
- 2016 Multi-Ethnic Preaching, Evangelical Covenant Church Mid Winter Conference
- 2014 Multi-Ethnic Ministry Methodology, Mid-America Baptist Seminary