Dr. Lyda Murillo Wilbur
Associate Professor of Spanish
|Office Location||Owens Hall, 207|
Dr. Wilbur is native from Panama, Central America, and is the youngest of four children. Her parents are retired Oklahoma Baptist missionaries. Dr. Wilbur has studied Spanish nationally and internationally and has led groups of students to Spain, Morocco, and France. In addition, she has participated in summer mission journeys to Mexico, Thailand, Venezuela, and Peru.
For the past 24 years, Dr. Wilbur has served as a public school educator from pre-kinder through twelfth grade, and has taught Spanish as an adjunct professor at Tulsa Community College. More specifically, she has taught Spanish for 12 years; while working on her doctorate, she also worked as a research assistant at the Oklahoma Center for Educational Policy at the University of Oklahoma; and has served as a school principal for 11 years. While serving in these positions, she has been able to relate to many people and has shared God’s message of love and compassion for human kind.
Dr. Wilbur and her husband share a home in Tulsa and Shawnee. They both have a passion for the art and science of teaching and learning, enjoy traveling, and meeting new people. They are looking forward to getting connected to the OBU family.
- BBA, Marketing & Minor in Spanish --Cameron University
- M.A., Spanish -- Millersville University
- M.S., Educational Leadership Studies -- Oklahoma State University
- Ed. D., University of Oklahoma
- Dissertation: Autonomy Support, Competence Support, and Relational Support can Foster Self- Efficacy for Self-Regulated Learning in Urban Schools
- SPAN 2313: Intermediate Spanish Language and Culture I
- SPAN 2703: Spanish Conversational Skills
- SPAN 3223: Spanish for Ministry
Publications and Presentations
- Nuestra Tarea is published quarterly, in Spanish by Woman’s Missionary Union:
- “El Programa Cooperativo en Florida”, Nuestra Tarea, September 1999
- “¿Contesta Dios nuestras oraciones?”, Nuestra Tarea, September 1997
- “La Gran Comisión y la Alianza Bautista Mundial”, Nuestra Tarea, August 1997
- “La Gran Comisión”, Nuestra Tarea, June 1997
- “¡Qué Dios bendiga a los niños!”, Nuestra Tarea, May 1997
- “In Nuestra Tarea, the Hispanic woman can find missions information, ideas, and inspiration to become more involved in the Great Commission”.
- Special Programs
- Lean/Six Sigma Green Belt – University of Oklahoma, 2015
- Relay National Principals Academy Fellowship Recipient, 2016-17
- First Baptist Church Broken Arrow- Coweta Campus
- Leadership Tulsa: Voices program member
- PHI DELTA KAPPA
- PHI KAPPA PHI
- One of her favorite books: The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson
- One of her favorite quotes: "El Mundo es un pañuelo" (“The world is a handkerchief”) -- José Martí
- One of her favorite Bible scriptures: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and self-control." -- 2 Timothy 1:7
- Favorite Christian Band: Mercy Me