|Office Location||Montgomery Hall, 207|
|OBU Mailbox #||61225|
Dr. Bobby Kelly joined the OBU faculty in 1997. He was named the Rowena Strickland Professor of Bible in 2000 and in 2004 he was named the Ruth Dickinson Chair of Bible. He received his PhD in New Testament Studies from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas (1998), where he also served as a teaching fellow for three years. He also received his master of divinity degree from Southwestern Seminary (1992) and his bachelor’s degree from Clear Creek Baptist College in Pineville, Kentucky (1988).
Dr. Kelly contributes articles frequently to the Biblical Illustrator as well as dictionary articles and presentations at professional conferences. He is also active in preaching and teaching in churches throughout Oklahoma. Kelly has served as interim pastor of eleven Oklahoma churches since his arrival at OBU including First Baptist Midwest City, Quail Springs Baptist Church (OKC), First Baptist Ponca City, and First Baptist Shawnee. He also travels the state teaching January/Winter Bible Studies.
Dr. Kelly has been recognized for excellence in teaching. He received the Promising Teacher Award in May 2000, an award given annually to a junior faculty member who demonstrates outstanding potential as a teacher. In May 2011 OBU awarded Dr. Kelly the Distinguished Teacher Award, the highest honor for OBU faculty members. This award is presented to a senior faculty member who has exemplified characteristics of superior instruction as acknowledged by former students, peers and current students. Dr. Kelly also received the Delta Epsilon Chi Award in May 2000, an annual award given to a distinguished alumnus as selected by the faculty, administration and trustees of Clear Creek Baptist College.
Dr. Kelly has been married to his wife, Angie, for twenty years. They have two children, Luke and Levi. In his spare time he enjoys Kentucky basketball, serving as basketball coach for his sons and running. He completed the Marine Corps Marathon in 2000 (4:18) and the Memorial Marathon in OKC in 2008 (3:38).
- B.A., Clear Creek Baptist College
- M.Div., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- REL 1023: New Testament History and Literature
- REL 2013: The Life of Christ
- REL 2703: Biblical Hermeneutics
- REL 2903: Elementary Greek I & II
- REL 2913: Elementary Greek II
- REL 3903: Intermediate Greek I
- REL 3913: Intermediate Greek II
- REL 4263: NT Interpretation I (Acts)
- "John the Baptist: A Prophet like Joshua?" Paper presented at the regional Society of Biblical Literature, Dallas, Spring 2004.
- "Lot's Wife: A Pillar of Preservation." Paper presented at the regional Society of Biblical Literature, Dallas, Spring 2006.
- "Jesus, Luke, and the Poor." Biblical Illustrator 32:2 (Winter 2005-06): 32-35.
- "Simon Peter: The Man and His Ministry." Biblical Illustrator (Spring 2007).
- "Matthew and His Gospel." Biblical Illustrator. Forthcoming Fall 2007.
- "Life of Christ." Ministry Training Institute Study Guide (Fall 2005)
- "Mark." Ministry Training Institute Study Guide (Fall 2005)
- "1 Corinthians." Ministry Training Institute Study Guide (Fall 2004)
- "1 & 2 Thessalonians." Ministry Training Institute Study Guide (Fall 2000)
- "Biblical Hermeneutics." Ministry Training Institute Study Guide (Fall 1999)