|Office Location||Owens Hall, 304|
|OBU Mailbox #||61220|
Dr. Chiareli immigrated to the United States from Brazil in 1984 and became a citizen in 1997. Upon coming to faith in Christ in 1996, Dr. Chiareli felt a calling to teach sociology in Christian higher education. He began his teaching journey at Bethel College in Minnesota as an adjunct faculty for a year. He then taught at Union University, Tennessee, for ten years serving as Associate Professor of Sociology. While at Union, he helped found and taught in the Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies at Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, Mill Valley, California, where he trained graduate students to carry out ethnographic research in culturally diverse settings, a role which took him and his students to many corners of the world. Since then he also has taught at Covenant College, where he served for seven years as Professor of Sociology and Intercultural Studies. There, too, he engaged in training students in ethnographic research. Dr. Chia reli has been active in consulting for universities, schools, and corporations in the areas of design thinking, ethnography, and cross-cultural strategies. He has also written and published on the integration of faith and learning, and has authored a fiction novel, The Dreamers of Allianz.
- B.A. (Sociology and French), Macalester College - St. Paul, MN
- M.A. (Sociology), Northwestern University - Evanston, IL
- Ph.D. (Sociology), Northwestern University - Evanston, IL
- Dissertation: "The Forging of Political Resource Communities: The Landless Rural Workers' Movement and the Political Construction of Rural Cooperatives in Southern Brazil."
- SOCI1223: Introduction to Sociology
- SOCI2103: Social Problems
- SOCI3063: Fertility, Migration & Mortality
- SOCI4243: Social Institutions
- ANTH1503: Cultural Anthropology
Chiareli, Antonio A. and Carolina Arnecke: “Intercâmbios nas Escolas Municipais de Ensino Fundamental no Campo,” in Escola Olavo: 50 Anos de História, ed. Carine Vanderlea Dörr. Porto Alegre, Brasil: Editora Citadela, 2013.
Chiareli, Antonio A. and Matthew Vos: “Race and Ethnic Relations,” in Sociology: A Christian Approach for Changing the World, ed. Cynthia Tweedell. Marion, IN: Triangle Publishing, 2010.
Chiareli, Antonio A. “ A Review of Robert H. Lavenda’s Cultural Anthropology: A Perspective on the Human Condition.” Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill, 2010.
Chiareli, Antonio A. The Dreamers of Allianz: A Novel. Longwood, FL: Xulon Press, 2007.
Chiareli, Antonio A. “A Review of Jenkin’s The New Anti-Catholicism: The Last Acceptable Prejudice,” JUFF (Vol. 26, Fall 2006: 16-23).
Chiareli, Antonio A. “Christian Worldview and the Social Sciences,” in Shaping a Christian Worldview: The Foundation of Christian Higher Education, eds. David S. Dockery and Gregory Thornburry. Nashville, TN: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2002.
Chiareli, Antonio A. “Muslims and Arab Americans: A New “Crisis of Visibility.” Academic Forum (October 31st, 2001); Jackson, TN: Carl F. H. Henry Center for Christian Leadership at Union University.
- American Sociological Association - USA
- Christian Sociological Association - USA
- Christian Sociological Society - USA
- Inter-American Foundation - USA
- Centro Nacional de Pesquisa (CNPq) - Brazil
- International Sociology Honor Society (Alpha Kappa Delta) - USA
- Société d'Honneur Française (Phi Delta Pi) - France