Philosophy with an Apologetics Emphasis is offered through the Herschel H. Hobbs College of Theology and Ministry.
Rigorously, rationally, and relationally presenting and defending our evangelical Christian faith.
In the pursuit of an Apologetics degree at OBU, students will be equipped to:
- Understand the need for and purposes of apologetics in your Christian life and ministry
- Be conversant with the major apologetic questions faced in Christian ministry
- Be able to identify, consult, and recommend resources to address apologetic questions
- Understand and be able to respond to other religious traditions
- Articulate the centrality of conceptions of mind, consciousness, and will to a vibrant intellectual and spiritual Christian faith
- Demonstrate the ability to craft tight logical theistic arguments
- Live out 1 Peter 3:15’s calling to always be prepared to give an answer to anyone who asks you for the reason for the hope that you have
An OBU B.A. in Philosophy with an Apologetics emphasis combines the best of a rigorous education in Christian Philosophy with a focus upon the defense and explanation of the Christian faith in the contemporary public square. In addition to all of the courses required in our regular Philosophy track (Ancient Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, Logic, Ethics, Epistemology), Apologetics students take required courses in Contemporary Apologetics, World Religions, History of Christian Apologetics and Historiography & The Resurrection. Their program is rounded out by Philosophy of Mind or Metaphysics, and either Philosophy of Religion or Philosophy of Science, along with an additional Philosophy elective.
|Program Options||Degree Plan|
|Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Philosophy: Apologetics Emphasis|
|Minor in Philosophy: Apologetics Emphasis|
What makes an OBU Philosophy (Apologetics Emphasis) degree special?
OBU is among a select handful of universities that offers an undergraduate program in Christian Apologetics. Our program will challenge you to understand your faith better, and to establish stronger intellectual foundations for your beliefs. Apologetics students are equipped to employ data, insights and arguments from a myriad of academic disciplines (e.g., history, theology, philosophy, science, sociology) in their rational defense of the Christian worldview.
In addition to the academic rigors and challenges of the Apologetics courses, our Apologetics Program organizes trips to local and regional Apologetics conferences, and hosts on-campus lectures and forums engaging significant apologetic topics. Our program size also allows for a close professor-student relationship, including regular opportunities to share meals and conversations at professors’ homes.
What are OBU grads doing with their Philosophy (Apologetics Emphasis) degrees?
Apologetics grads are engaged in diverse post-OBU pursuits. Since the program’s inception in 2015, graduates have gone on to vocational ministry; graduate studies in Philosophy and Law; and careers in broadcasting, research and sales.
Learn more about our Theology and Ministry faculty.