Chair, Division of Art and Design
Ruth Jay Odom Professorship in Fine Arts
|Office Location||Art Building|
|OBU Mailbox #||60001|
Professor Fuller's design philosophy is based on the old axiom of architect Louis Sullivan - "form follows function." Design is not just decorative ornament but the way that something works. Graphic design, in particular, utilizes text, images, or a combination of both to communicate a specific message to a particular audience. The test of success lies in the effectiveness of communication. In this regard, good design is not simply an opinion based on aesthetics, but it is quantifiable in terms of meeting the objectives of a client.
Professor Fuller believes that a designer is part artist and part scientist - an artist in the sense of creating works that visually stimulate and resonate emotionally with people, and a scientist in the sense that they create something that works functionally to enhance cognition and influence a course of action. In essence, a graphic designer is a visual, creative problem-solver.
He met his wife Kara in college at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford, Okla. Their family enjoys living in Shawnee and being a part of the OBU community. Fuller has three daughters Karlee, Harper, and Nora.
- B.A., Southwestern Oklahoma State University
- M.F.A., University of Central Oklahoma
- Graduate Thesis Work: "The Changing Visual Identity of Churches: from Symbols to Branding"
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Design Basics
- Advertising Design
- Raster Graphics
- History of Graphic Design
- Interactive Design (HTML/CSS)
- Package Design
- Vector Graphics
- Honors Colloquium in Visual Culture
- NYC Study Tour
- Portfolio Development
- Cooperative Work Experience
- AIGA (American Institute of Graphic Artists) — former guest-speaker, vice president and member of the educational board for AIGA Oklahoma
- Involvement with Tulsa Art Director’s Club
- Involvement with International Arts Movement, NYC
- Fuller's design work has earned several Gold Addy Awards and recognition from the American Marketing Association.
- His present and past students have also won multiple ADDY awards in both the student and professional categories.
- In 2013, Fuller was honored with OBU’s Promising Teacher award.
Exhibits and Lectures
- Space 38|39, New York City, solo exhibit and artist talk
- Indiana Wesleyan University, solo exhibit and guest lecture
- University of Central Oklahoma, Edmond, solo exhibit and guest lecture
- Legacy Bank, Spring Creek, Edmond, solo exhibit
- Gaylord-Pickens Museum, Oklahoma City, solo exhibit and artist talk
- Elemental, Oklahoma City, solo exhibit
- Panelist on the topic of visual culture at the MAASA Conference in Tulsa
- Panelist on the topic of Christian Faith and the Arts, OBU
- Guest speaker at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art on early Christian symbols
- Mabee-Gerrer regional show, theme: “Home”
- “Neighbor-Made” art show, downtown Shawnee, awarded “Best in Show”
- NorthHaven Church, Norman, OK, solo exhibit
- Collective Church, Ft. Worth, TX, solo exhibit