Dr. Jim Hansford
Conductor, OBU-Shawnee Community Orchestra
|OBU Mailbox #||61258|
A respected educator-conductor for over forty years, Dr. Hansford recently retired as the Burton Patterson Professor of Music after serving as Director of Bands and Coordinator of Instrumental Studies at OBU since 1990. He stays active as a guest conductor, clinician, and adjudicator in the public schools and churches of Oklahoma, Texas, and the Southwestern United States having recently served as conductor/clinician for the 5-State Regional Honor Band hosted in Guymon, Oklahoma.
Since retiring, Hansford continues to conduct the OBU/Shawnee Community Orchestra which is beginning it's 11th season. As an adjunct professor at OBU, Hansford continues to teach trombone, supervise student teachers and resident year teachers. He served as a senior editor and writer for a 400-page textbook, “The Instrumental Resource for Church and School” published through Lifeway Church Resources. Hansford lectured on “The Music Education System in the United States” and “The History of Jazz in America” for the School of Music at Xinjiang Normal University in Urumqi, China. He served as conductor of the Oklahoma Baptist All-State Symphonic Band for fifteen years including tours to England and British Columbia and national trips to Boston and Phoenix.
His teaching experience includes seven years in the public schools of Brazosport and Denton, Texas. Before coming to OBU, Hansford served as director of bands at Southeastern Oklahoma State University and Wayland Baptist University (Texas).
Dr. Hansford is an active member of First Baptist Church in Shawnee, where he sings in the choir and serves as a deacon. His wife, Conchita, assistant professor of music and a children's music specialist who conducts the Shawnee Honor Choir, is Director of the Music Preparatory Department at OBU. They are the parents of two grown daughters, Candace and Tamara, and have two grandchildren, Channing and Clark.
- B.M.E., University of Southern Mississippi
- M.M.E., University of North Texas
- Ph.D., University of North Texas
- Texas Music Educators Association
- Texas Music Adjudicators Association
- International Trombone Association (literature reviewer)
- Phi Kappa Lambda
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia (Province Governor-24 years)
- Christian Instrumentalists and Directors Association (former National President)
- Oklahoma Music Educators Association Executive Board Vice President for Higher Education Chair of the OMEA-CBDNA Intercollegiate Honor Band