Dr. Will Smallwood
|Office Location||Cargill Alumni Center|
|OBU Mailbox #||61275|
Dr. Will Smallwood serves as senior vice president for advancement and university relations at Oklahoma Baptist University. In his role since 2010, he leads five major campus divisions: development, alumni relations, marketing and communications, technology services, and career services and development.
Under his leadership, OBU launched its most extensive fund raising effort in history with the five-year, $42 million Vision for a New Century Capital Campaign. In December 2014, a little more than 3 years into the campaign, OBU surpassed the $42 million campaign goal that included more than a dozen gifts of $1 million or more. In total, OBU celebrated the campaign’s provision of more than $55 million in resources to advance its mission.
Since 2010, more than $28 million has been gifted for endowment establishing more than 170 new student scholarships, 8 new endowed faculty positions, and numerous funds for academic and athletic support. In that time, the university’s endowment has grown by more than $50 million to $141 million.
Smallwood has played a key role in the growth and expansion of the OBU mission and footprint in Shawnee, Oklahoma, and around the world. He was appointed as chair of three major committees by former President and Chancellor Dr. David W. Whitlock including the OBU Department of Athletics’ NAIA to NCAA Division II Transition Oversight Committee.
Before arriving at OBU, Smallwood was director of development for Southern Seminary in Louisville after working in Florida as a commercial printing sales consultant for Fortune 500 firm Consolidated Graphics. He also served as a bi-vocational pastor in Kentucky and preaches frequently at churches in Oklahoma, Kentucky and Florida.
He and his wife Caroline are members of Immanuel Baptist, Shawnee, and he serves as a commissioner with the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, on the City of Shawnee Airport Advisory Board, City of Shawnee Comprehensive Strategic Planning Committee, and the Blue Zones Pottawatomie County Steering Committee.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY, 2015
- Dissertation: “The Most Versatile Man”: The Life, Ministry, and Piety of Basil Manly, Jr.
- Major: Biblical Spirituality; Minors: American Religious History, Leadership
- Master of Business Administration (MBA), Louisiana State University Shreveport, 2019
- AACSB Accredited
- Post-Graduate Studies in Higher Education Leadership, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Master of Divinity (M.Div.), The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, KY, 2008
- Bachelor of Science in Public Relations (BSPR), University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1997
- Biblical Spirituality
- Spiritual Formation
- Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
- International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education
- Baptist Communicators Association