Dr. Tom Darling
|Office Location||Noble Complex, 109|
|OBU Mailbox #||61171|
Health Professional with over 20 years of combined experience in disease prevention, disease control, health promotion, and human performance enhancement. Research focused on establishing exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle interventions as part of routine cancer prevention and care, decreasing cancer symptom severity and treatment side effects, and enhancing HRQOL for cancer patients, survivors, and caregivers. Special interest in sensor technology, remote monitoring systems, and real-time physiological assessment to enhance safety and effectiveness of exercise programming.
Attends LifeChurch Shawnee. Married with 3 children. Enjoys basketball and ping-pong.
- 2008, Post-Doctoral Cancer Research Fellowship, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- 2006, Ph.D., Health & Human Performance, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- 1999, Post-Graduate Certificate of Gerontology, University of Louisiana Monroe, Monroe, LA
- 1999, M.S., Health & Human Performance, University of Louisiana Monroe, Monroe, LA
- 1997, B.S., Exercise & Sport Science, Phillips University, Enid, OK
- 1992, NIH Research Apprentice, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- HHP 3403 Sport & Exercise Nutrition
- HHP 3504 Exercise Testing & Prescription (w/ Lab)
- HHP 3709 Cancer Rehabilitation
- HHP 3713 Cancer Research
- HHP 3804 Exercise Physiology (w/ Lab)
- HHP 4109 Professional Certification
- HHP 4704 Clinical Testing & Prescription (w/ Lab)
- HHP 4804 Clinical Exercise Physiology (w/ Lab)
Peterson, J.A. & Darling, T.V. (2018). Childhood cancer and treatment effects on motor performance. International Journal of Exercise Science, 11 (3), 657-668.
Darling, T.V. & Sha, K. (2015). REMEDY: Remote exercise monitoring using an evaluative data sensing system for cancer. IEEE-HealthCom’15.
Purnell, J.Q., Mustian, K.M., Jean-Pierre, P., Palesh, O., Peppone, L.J., Mohile, S., Darling, T.V., & Morrow, G.R. (2014). The psychological and functional impact of radiation therapy. ALERT (V1).
Peppone, L.J., Reid, M.E., Moysich, K.B., Morrow, G.R., Jean-Pierre, P., Mohile, S.G., Darling, T.V., & Hyland, A. (2010). The effect of secondhand smoke exposure on the association between active cigarette smoking and colorectal cancer. CC&C, 21 (8), 1247-1255.
Mustian, K.M., Janelsins, M.C., Palesh, O.G., Rosier, R.N., Purnell, J.Q., Darling, T.V., & Morrow, G.R. (2010). The effect of a structured weight-bearing exercise program on bone metabolism among breast cancer survivors: a feasibility trial. CBC, 10 (3), 224-229.
Mustian, K.M., Peppone, L.J., Palesh, O.G., Janelsins, M.C., Mohile, S.G., Purnell, J.Q. & Darling, T.V. (2009). Exercise and cancer-related fatigue. U.S. Oncology, 5 (2), 2-6.
Mustian, K.M., Peppone, L.J., Darling, T.V., Palesh, O.G., Heckler, C.E., & Morrow, G.R. (2009). A 4-week home-based aerobic and resistance exercise program during radiation therapy. JSO, 7 (5), 158-167.
Mustian, K.M., Darling, T.V., Janelsins, M.C., Jean-Pierre, P., Roscoe, J.A., & Morrow, G.R. (2008). Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea and Vomiting. U.S. Oncology, 4, 19-23.