Dr. Terry James
Director of Teacher Education
|Office Location||Shawnee Hall, 208-A|
|OBU Mailbox #||61771|
Beginning June, 2016 Dr. James returned to OBU's division of education to serve as chair/associate professor. James had previously served as assistant professor at OBU from 2008-2014. He has served in the public schools of Indiana and Oklahoma for 40 years as English teacher, coach, assistant principal. assistant superintendent, and superintendent. Most of his years were spent in Southeastern Oklahoma at McAlester and Durant. During the 2015-16 school year he served as interim superintendent of the Miami, Ok schools.
James was also very involved in statewide activities, serving as state president of OASCD, chair of the Oklahoma Central Office Personnel group, State Superintendent's Advisory Council; State School Improvement Committee, state Title 1 Committee, and numerous other initiatives.
As of June, 2016, James has been married for 44 years to Becky, a now-retired elementary teacher and former McAlester Teacher of the Year. Both of their sons, Aaron and Michael, are OBU graduates.
- B.S. Indiana State University
- M.S. Indiana University
- Ph.D University of Oklahoma
- EDUC 0151 Cornerstone of Education
- EDUC 2012 Foundations of Education
- EDUC 3103 Human Development
- EDUC 3203 Educational Psychology
- EDUC 3601 Models of Classroom Management
- EDUC 3702 Classroom Management Pk-12
- EDUC 4172 Measurement for Student Teaching
- EDUC 4722 Classroom Management for Student Teaching
Selected PublicationsJames, Terry. (1989, May) . A MAP for Dealing with At-Risk Students: the McAlester Academic Achievement Plan, MAP. OASCD Journal, p 12-14.
James, Terry. (1996, July). A Paradigm from the Past. OASCD Journal, p. 31-14.
James, Terry. (1996, October). From "Leave It to Beaver" to "Leave It to Beevis" in One Generation. The American Educator. p 7
James, Terry. (2006, November). Ethical Behavior. Better Schools. p 2
- Cooperative Council of Oklahoma School Administrators
- Oklahoma Association of School Administrators
- American Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development