Dr. Teresa C. Purcell
Assistant Professor of Music/Director of Bands
|Office Location||Raley Chapel, 104|
|OBU Mailbox #||61276|
BiographyDr. Teresa C. Purcell was appointed Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Music at Oklahoma Baptist University in 2017, where her responsibilities include coordinating the Symphonic Winds, Bison Brigade Marching Band and Basketball Band in addition to teaching conducting, applied flute lessons and courses in instrumental music education. Prior to her position at OBU, Dr. Purcell taught 5th-12th grade bands in the public schools of Georgia and Kansas.
Purcell’s educational background includes a Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of Oklahoma, a Master of Music from Kansas State University, and a Bachelor of Music Education from the University of Texas at El Paso. Her primary teachers have been Bill Wakefield and Frank Tracz.
Purcell is active as a clinician, adjudicator and guest conductor throughout the region, and was a guest conductor of the United States Army Band Pershing’s Own as part of their 2016 Conductors Workshop.
She holds professional affiliations with the College Band Directors National Association, the National Association for Music Educators, Oklahoma Music Educators Association, Oklahoma Bandmasters Association, and is an honorary member of Tau Beta Sigma and Kappa Kappa Psi.
- B.M.Ed., University of Texas at El Paso
- M.M., Kansas State University
- D.M.A., University of Oklahoma
- Dissertation: Vincent Persichetti's Symphony No. 6 for Band, Op. 69 (1956) and Midcentury Modern Design
- MUOR 1029: Bison Brigade
- MUOR 1029: Symphonic Winds
- MUSC 3422: Instrumental Conducting
- MUED 4033: Instrumental Methods and Procedures
- MuED 4022: Marching Band Techniques
- MUED 4011: Band Literature
- Applied Flute
- INMU 1010: Instrumental Seminar
Publications and PresentationsSmall Ensembles, Big Benefits: Incorporating Chamber Music in Your Small (and Not-So-Small) Band: KMEA In-Service Workshop, 2015
- College Band Directors National Association
- National Association for Music Education
- Oklahoma Music Educators Association
- Kappa Kappa Psi
- Tau Beta Sigma