Dr. Tawa Anderson
Associate Professor of Philosophy
|Office Location||Montgomery Hall, 205|
|OBU Mailbox #||61273|
Dr. Tawa Anderson joined the OBU faculty as Assistant Professor of Philosophy in the fall of 2011, shortly after completing his Ph.D. in Worldview & Apologetics at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (SBTS) in Louisville, KY. Before arriving at OBU, Anderson served as a Garrett Fellow at SBTS, guest lecturing in a broad variety of philosophy courses. Prior to that, he served for seven years as the English Pastor of Edmonton Chinese Baptist Church and part-time Baptist Chaplain at the University of Alberta, in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Anderson and his wife, Vanessa, have three children: Mataeo (b. 2000), Alethea (b. 2003), and Keilani (b. 2005). Mataeo is studying Biochemistry at OBU, while Alethea and Keilani attend Shawnee High School.
Anderson is passionate about contemporary Christian philosophy, particularly philosophical apologetics -- explaining and defending the truth of Christian theism in the face of cultural and academic objections, doubts, and challenges. He has led apologetic workshops, seminars, and conferences at churches throughout western Canada, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Colorado. In addition to full-time service at OBU, Anderson occasionally teaches at The Canadian Southern Baptist Seminary (Alberta, Canada) and Minot State University (North Dakota). Anderson also maintains (with intermittent dedication) a blog dedicated to Christian apologetics -- www.tawapologetics.blogspot.com.
- B.A. (Hon.) in Political Science, University of Alberta (1997).
- M.Div. in Pastoral Ministry, Edmonton Baptist Seminary (2000).
- Additional Graduate Studies in Philosophy, Apologetics, and World Religions: Ambrose Seminary (Calgary, Alberta); Tyndale Seminary (Toronto, Ontario); The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Louisville, KY); ACTS Seminaries (Langley, British Columbia).
- Ph.D. in Philosophy, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (2011).
- Evangelical Philosophical Society (EPS)
- Society of Christian Philosophers (SCP)
- Evangelical Theological Society (ETS)
Awards and Honors
- 2018 Provost’s Award of Excellence (Honors Program)
- 2018 Promotion to rank of Associate Professor
- 2017 Student Government Association’s “Seven Who Care” Award
- 2017 Granted Senior Faculty Status
- 2016 Provost’s Award of Excellence (Philosophy Forums)
- 2016 Promising Teacher Award
Tawa J. Anderson, W. Michael Clark, and David K. Naugle, An Introduction to Christian Worldview: Pursuing God's Perspective in a Pluralistic World. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic, 2017.
“A Review of Myron Bradley Penner, The End of Apologetics: Christian Witness in a Postmodern Context.” Philosophia Christi 17.1 (2015): 241-47.
“Apologetics, Imagination, and Imaginative Apologetics.” Trinity Journal 34.2 (Fall 2013): 229-51.
“A Review of James K. A. Smith, Imagining the Kingdom: How Worship Works, Cultural Liturgies Volume 2.” Christian Scholar’s Review 43.2 (2014): 187-91.
“A Review of Douglas Groothuis, Christian Apologetics: A Comprehensive Case for Biblical Faith.” Christian Scholar’s Review 41.4 (2012): 426-31.
- Guest lecturer at DEFEND Apologetics Conference (New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary) - every January since 2014.
- Led apologetics workshops at Vancouver Chinese Baptist Church - every June from 2014-2018.
- "God and Klingons: Assessing Dawkins-ian Knowledge Claims." Presented at Defend Apologetics Conference (New Orleans, January 2019), Southwest EPS Regional Conference (New Orleans, March 2019).
- "Dawkins, Calvin, and Chopra Walk into a Bar ... The Power and Purpose of Worldview." Presented at Defend Apologetics Conference (New Orleans, January 2019, January 2018), Worldview Symposium @ Oklahoma Christian University (October 2017).
- "Whose Problem? The Argument FOR God FROM Evil." Presented at Stand Firm Apologetics Conference (Ft. Worth, TX, March 2018), Defend Apologetics Conference (New Orleans, January 2018).