Dr. Robbie Henson
Chair, School of Nursing
Lawrence and Marion Harris Chair of Nursing
Professor of Nursing
|Office Location||Stavros Hall, 112|
|OBU Mailbox #||61805|
Dr. Robbie Henson is a full professor and holds the Lawrence C. and Marion V. Harris Chair of Nursing. She has clinical experience in a wide range of experience including maternal-newborn nursing, home health and mental health nursing but her first love is adult intensive care nursing. She is currently teaching in both the undergraduate and graduate programs in the School of Nursing. She has served as Associate Dean of Academic Programs and currently serves as Chair of the School of Nursing. Dr. Henson has received recognition from the National League of Nursing as a Certified Academic Nurse Educator. She received the Oklahoma Nurse Educator of the Year award and both the Promising and Distinguished Teaching Award at OBU.
Dr. Henson’s primary research focus is on the nurses' role in facilitating self and family care through mutual goal setting. She has also completed research related to retention of nurses in the acute care setting. Dr. Henson has published articles on such subjects as introducing new technology, the concept of mutuality and consumerism and quality management. She has practiced professionally in the health care agencies in the Shawnee area as well as in Tulsa and Fort Worth, Texas.
Dr. Henson and her husband, Roger, have two grown children, Benjamin and Anna. She is an active member at First Baptist Church Shawnee.
- B.S.N., Oklahoma Baptist University
- M.S.N., University of Texas-Arlington
- Ph.D., University of Colorado
- Dissertation: “A Grounded Theory Study of Nurse/Client Mutuality in Health Care Planning”
- Nursing Cornerstone Seminar
- Nursing Research
- Curriculum Development and Evaluation
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society
- Oklahoma/American Nurses Association
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
Awards and Honors
- Oklahoma Nurse Educator of the Year, Oklahoma Nurses’ Association
- Promising Teacher Award, Oklahoma Baptist University
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Oklahoma Baptist University
- Senior Class Outstanding Faculty Member, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Arlington
- Piper Professor Award Nominee for Excellence in Teaching, School of Nursing, University of Texas at Arlington
- Henson, R. H. Analysis of the concept of mutuality. Image: Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 29(1), 77-81.
- Henson, R. H., Schmele, J. A. & Robinson, W. Consumerism & quality management. In J. A. Schmele, Ed. Quality Management in Nursing and Health Care. Delmar Publishers.
- McClellan, M. A., Henson, R. H. & Schmele, J. A. Introducing new technology: Confusion or order? Nursing Management, 25(7), 38-41.
- MacRoberts, M., Schmele, J. A. & Henson, R.H. An analysis of job morale factors of community health nurses who report a low turnover rate: The research. Journal of Nursing Administration, 23(6), 22-28.
- Helmich, R. A repeat study of employee opinions for use in recruitment and retention of registered nurses. Unpublished manuscript. Tarrant County Hospital District, Fort Worth, Texas.