Dr. Michael Dean
|Office Location||Raley Chapel, 114|
|OBU Mailbox #||61181|
Michael Dean is Professor of Music and Coordinator of Keyboard Studies in the Warren M. Angell College of Fine Arts, Division of Music. In addition to his international performances as a member of the Manno-Dean Piano Duo, he is in demand as a soloist and collaborative artist, performing in numerous locations throughout the United States and Europe. His performances have been described as expressive, poetic, and engaging, inspiring audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
An educational and artistic leader in the state of Oklahoma, Dr. Dean serves on the Board of the Oklahoma Music Teachers Association as the President Elect. He also maintains an active schedule as a workshop clinician, adjudicator, and faculty member at summer institutes throughout North America. Recent workshops include “Etude Journey: Preparation and Performance”, “Expert Practice Techniques and Memorization”, and “Bach to Basics: A Baroque Primer for Students and Teachers.” International presentations include “Braille Music for the Visually Impaired” at the 2013 World Piano Conference in Novi Sad, Serbia, “Folk Idioms in Mozart’s Viennese Sonatinas, Sonatas, and Additional Works” at the 2014 Classical Music Festival in Eisenstaedt, Austria, and “Strengthening Mental Focus” at the International Society for Music Education 2016 World Conference in Glasgow, Scotland with his duo-piano partner, Dr. Terrie Manno.
Dr. Dean is a native of Minnesota, and following studies at the MacPhail Center for Music in Minneapolis earned undergraduate degrees in Piano Performance and Mathematics from Minnesota State University Moorhead and Masters and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees in Piano Performance and Piano Pedagogy from the University of Oklahoma. He previously taught at the Wheaton College Conservatory in Illinois. In 2011, OBU presented him with a Teaching Award in recognition of his instructional excellence.
- B.A., Minnesota State University Moorhead
- B.M., Minnesota State University Moorhead
- M.M., University of Oklahoma
- D.M.A., University of Oklahoma
- Applied Piano
- Chamber Music (Instrumental)
- Class Piano I-IV
- Functional Keyboard Skills I-II
- Keyboard Concepts (Pedagogy/Preparatory Group Class)
- Piano Literature I-II
- Piano Pedagogy I-IV
- Piano Seminar
- Why Can’t I Focus? Current Research on Attention; various locations; 2017, 2018
- Strengthening Mental Focus; 2016 ISME Conference, Glasgow, Scotland
- Etude Journey: Preparations and Performance; various locations; 2015, 2016
- Expert Practice Techniques and Memorization; various locations; 2014, 2015
- Folk Idioms in Mozart’s Piano Works; 2014 Classical Music Festival, Eisenstaedt, Austria
- Bach to Basics: A Baroque Primer for Students and Teachers; various locations 2013
- Piano Instruction for the Visually Impaired; 2013 World Piano Conference, Novi Sad, Serbia
- The Gina Bachauer Piano Competitions: An organizational history and survey of offered repertoire
- “Remembering Paul Pollei,” The XVI Gina Bachauer International Artists Competition. The Gina
- Bachauer International Piano Foundation, 2014.
- “Panel Presentation: Piano Pedagogy in Three ‘Smaller’ Schools,” Piano Pedagogy Forum 13, no. 1 (January 1, 2011).
- “The Bachauer: A History of Musical Inspiration.” The XV Gina Bachauer International Artists Competition. The Gina Bachauer International Piano Foundation, 2010.
- “Report: Using SMART Classroom Technology in Group Piano Teaching,” Piano Pedagogy Forum 12, no. 1 (January 1, 2009).
- Nelson, Joy. The Music Effect. Alfred Publishing Co, Inc. 2005. (selected music tracks