|Office Location||Raley Chapel, 205-E|
|OBU Mailbox #||61236|
James Vernon, Professor of Music, teaches courses in music composition, music theory, and fine arts (music and art for the Common Core). He directs the OBU Music Composition program, and is the musical director of The Bisonettes, the Women’s Glee Club of OBU. He has composed works for instrumental, choral, and vocal idioms, as well as music for stage play productions. Vernon’s compositions have been performed throughout the United States and in parts of Western Europe.
Vernon’s most recent project is the completion of a full-length opera on the life and education of Laura Bridgman, the first blind-deaf person to learn language. The story consists of the relationship between Laura and her primary teacher and mentor, Samuel Gridley Howe, who directed the Perkins School for the Blind in Boston, Massachusetts in the 19th century. The opera, A Porcelain Doll, will be premiered on the OBU campus during the first weekend of March 2017. Professor Brent Newsom of the OBU English Department is the librettist.
Other more recent compositions are The Spirit of the Lord is On Me (2015) for women’s choir and percussion, A Belief in Beauty (in memory of Kristen Stauffer Todd -2015) for unaccompanied women’s choir, Septet for Wind Instruments (2014) and Elegy for Trains, (2014) a work for women’s choir, brass ensemble, and piano, using the poetry of OBU colleague Benjamin Myers.
A native of Chesapeake, Virginia, he lives in Shawnee with his wife, Lisa, a public health nurse. They have one daughter, Meredith, who is a physical therapist, a most excellent son-in-law named James, a beautiful granddaughter named Blair, two cats who are useless, and about 30 ducks that visit their back yard twice a day. His hobbies include reading, sailing, bicycling, running, and keeping ducks out of his back yard.
- B.A., Old Dominion University
- M.M., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- D.M.A., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Private and Class Music Composition
- Written and Aural Music Theory Courses
- Arts and Western Culture
- Introduction to Music Study
- Post-Tonal Music Theory and History
- Bisonette Glee Club (Women’s Choir)
- College Music Society
- Society of Composers
- Broadcast Music, Inc.
- NASM Accreditation Visitor
- A Porcelain Doll , full-length opera (to be premiered in March 2017)
- The Spirit of the Lord is On Me for Women’s Choir and Percussion
- A Belief in Beauty for unaccompanied Women’s Choir
- Septet for Wind Instruments for Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Alto and Tenor Saxophone
- Elegy for Trains for Women’s Choir, Brass Ensemble, and Piano
- A Thousand Tongues of Immortality for Soprano, Cello, and Piano
- A Love Song for unaccompanied T.T.B.B. Men's Voices
- Magnificat for S.S.A.A. Women's Voices with Piano and Percussion
- The Glow From That Fire for Mixed Chorus, Alto Solo, Narrator, and Orchestra
- Three Sacred Songs for Soprano Voice and Piano