Dr. D. Brent Ballweg
Director of Choral Activities
|Office Location||Raley Chapel, 204-E|
|OBU Mailbox #||61276|
Dr. Brent Ballweg is the Burton H. Patterson Professor of Music in the Warren M. Angell College of Fine Arts at Oklahoma Baptist University where he conducts the University Chorale, True Voice vocal ensemble and teaches courses in conducting and music history. Previously, he held college and university conducting positions in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, and Missouri and has served as the artistic director and conductor of the Plano (TX) Civic Chorus, assistant director of the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, and founder and director of the Northeast Arkansas Chorale.
In 1986, Dr. Ballweg won first place in a national choral conducting competition held in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1996, he was invited to represent the United States as a participant in a conducting masterclass at the International Federation for Choral Music Fourth World Symposium on Choral Music and World Choirs Festival held in Sydney, Australia, and in 1997 was invited to conduct in masterclasses with the Phoenix Bach Choir at the Southwest Conductor's Symposium. In January 2008, he made his NYC Carnegie Hall conducting debut with MidAmerica Productions with a return engagement in April of 2018. Ensembles under Ballweg’s direction have performed as invited honor choirs for the Oklahoma Music Educators Association Conference and have toured to Austria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Mexico, Poland, and Russia.
Professionally, Dr. Ballweg has served as President of the American Choral Directors Association Southwestern Division, Oklahoma Choral Directors Association, and Texas Two-Year College Choral Directors Association. He has also served as the ACDA National, Divison, and State Chair for Two-Year College Choirs and on numerous planning committees for ACDA national and division conferences. In 2012 Dr. Ballweg was named a Director of Distinction by the Oklahoma Choral Directors Association and in 2016 the Oklahoma Music Educators Association presented him with the Exemplary Teacher-Higher Education Award.
- B.M., Oklahoma Baptist University
- M.M., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- D.M.A., University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music
- MUOR 1069 University Chorale
- MUOR True Voice
- MUSC 3202 History of Music and Art I
- MUSC 3213 History of Music and Art II
- MUSC 3401 Conducting Seminar
- MUSC 3412 Conducting 1
- MUSC 4233 Post-Tonal Theory and History
- Private Conducting
- American Choral Directors Association
- Oklahoma Choral Directors Association
- International Federation for Choral Music
- Music Educators National Conference
- Oklahoma Music Educators Association
- Singing Churchmen of Oklahoma