Dr. Bruce Carlton
|Office Location||Montgomery Hall, 214|
|OBU Mailbox #||61273|
The writings and opinions expressed on social media platforms are those of the authors, and may not necessarily reflect those of OBU.
R. Bruce Carlton joined the OBU faculty in the Hobbs College of Theology and Ministry in August 2011. Carlton comes to OBU with over 20 years of field experience with the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention (1986-2007). Carlton and his wife Gloria lived and served in Hong Kong, Cambodia, India, and Singapore during their missionary career. Having been actively involved in church-planting movements in various places in Asia, Carlton is well-respected as a missionary trainer and remains involved in training missionaries and church planters around the globe. Previously, Carlton served as an Associate Professor of Missions and Departmental Coordinator at Boyce College in Louisville, KY (2007-2011).
The Carltons have been married for 41 years and have two grown daughters Elizabeth Falls (Ryan) and Mary Margaret Sparks (Jason). They have two granddaughters Miriam Falls and Olive Ruby Sparks, and two grandsons Arthur Sparks.
- B.A., Georgetown College, 1978 (Summa Cum Laude)
- M.Div., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, 1983
- M.A., Azusa Pacific University, 1992
- D.Th., University of South Africa, 2006
- World Religions
- Cross-Cultural Studies
- Global Marketplace Engagement
Awards and Honors
- Seven Who Care Award (OBU Student Government Association). 2013
- Stanley Mooneyham Memorial Award; Cambodia Baptist Fellowship, USA, 1991 (1st resident Southern Baptist Missionaries in Cambodia)
- Evangelical Missiological Society, 2008 – present
- University Educators for Global Engagement, 2011- present
- Strategy Coordinator: Changing the Course of Southern Baptist Missions (Oxford: Regnum Books, 2010)
- Amazing Grace: Lessons on Church-Planting Movements from Cambodia (Singapore: Radical Obedience, 2004)
- Project Thessalonica: Acts 29 Training for Churches, (Singapore: Radical Obedience, 2004)
- Acts 29: Practical Training in Facilitating Church-Planting Movements Among the Neglected Harvest Fields, (Singapore: Radical Obedience, 2003, available in 17 different languages).
- Strategic Coordination in Mission: Training Manual for the Nehemiah Institute for Strategic Coordination (India: Mission Education Books, 2001, co-authored with S.D. Ponraj).
- Keynote speaker, Multiplying Disciples, Multiplying Churches Conference; Oklahoma City, OK, (2019).
- Presenter (Best Practices in Mission Training for University Students – Mission 1.8) UEGE Annual Conference; Richmond, Virginia (March 2016)
- Trainer for New Missionary Orientation (Cross-Cultural Adjustment and Communication; Church Planting; Hinduism/Buddhism), Beautiful Feet Mission Agency, Choctaw, Oklahoma ( 2016-17)
- Seminar leader, “Church Planting among Animists,” Assemblies of God Global Consultation on Unreached People Groups; Limuru, Kenya (6-9 January 2014)
- Keynote Trainer on Church-Planting Movements for Assemblies of God cross-cultural workers in
- Central Asia (July 2013) and Middle East/North Africa (02-05 January 2014)
- Lecture, "Making Disciples in Honor/Shame Cultures"; Northwest Baptist Church International Student Conference; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (January 2017)
- Lecture. "Comparing Worldviews – Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism": Baptist General Convention Student Conference; Falls Creek, Oklahoma (March 2016)
- Lecture, "Chronological Bible Storying", Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma Women’s Conference, 2012; BGCO Church Planters, Feb. 2013
- Lecture, "Making Disciples of Oral Learners"; Northwest Baptist Church International Student Conference; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (2013- 2016)