Dr. Brent Newsom teaches courses in creative writing, literature, editing, and composition. He is the author of the poetry collection Love's Labors and the librettist for A Porcelain Doll, an opera composed by OBU Professor of Music Dr. Jim Vernon. He also writes fiction, for which he received a Fulbright grant, as well as book reviews. With OBU Associate Professor of Graphic Design Corey Fuller, he co-edits Ink & Letters: A Curated Journal of Art, Creativity, & Christian Faith.
A 2003 OBU graduate, Dr. Newsom obtained an M.A. in English: Literary Studies from Louisiana State University and Ph.D. in English: Creative Writing from Texas Tech. He returned to Bison Hill to join the faculty in 2012.
- B.A., Oklahoma Baptist University
- M.A., Louisiana State University
- Ph.D., Texas Tech University
- ENGL 1153: English Composition: Exposition & Argument
- ENGL 1163: English: Composition & Classical Literature
- ENGL 2013: European Civilization: Literature
- ENGL 2023: Modern West: Literature
- ENGL 2043: Literature of the Western World I
- ENGL 2623: Introductory Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 3613: Intermediate Poetry Workshop
- ENGL 3623: Intermediate Fiction Workshop
- ENGL 3773: Professional Editing
- ENGL 4663: Topics in Cultural Studies
- ENGL 4823: Advanced Fiction Workshop
Publications and PresentationsBooks
Love's Labors (CavanKerry Press, 2015)
Poems in Selected Journals
The Southern Review, The Hopkins Review, Birmingham Poetry Review, Cave Wall, Tar River Poetry, PANK, Subtropics, Measure, Louisiana Literature, Windhover, Rock & Sling, Relief.
Poems in Anthologies
Best New Poets 2010 (Samovar Press, 2010), Mamas and Papas: On the Sublime and Heartbreaking Art of Parenting (City Works Press), The Gulf Stream: Poems of the Gulf Coast (Snake Nation Press, 2013).
Book Reviews in Selected Journals
Christianity & Literature, Pleiades Book Review, New Letters, Hiram Poetry Review.