The Residential Life Handbook Section 5

5) Emergency Procedures

a) Fire Alarms

In the event of a fire alarm, residents should immediately leave the building through the nearest exit door. Determine which staircase you should use when evacuating the complex. Move quickly to the outer premises, report to your assigned evacuation location, and remain outside until you are notified otherwise.
The Shawnee Fire Department and Police Department will respond to investigate a possible crime scene at every alarm. LEAVING THE PREMISES COULD RESULT IN A VIOLATION OF THE LAW.
The Resident Assistant Staff will assist in the evacuation of the building; please follow their instructions during the evacuation procedure. You will be notified when you are allowed back in the building.

b) Penalty for Setting False Alarms

If you see someone tampering with an alarm device or a fire extinguisher, please contact a university official immediately.

c) Tornado Precautions

The Residential Life Staff and Campus Safety watch the weather carefully to be prepared for severe weather. Each RA desk is equipped with a weather radio which will alert staff to watches and warnings in the area. In the event of threatening weather, you will be notified by the Residential Life Staff. (You may also hear the facilities alarm system and/or the Shawnee Tornado Siren.) DO NOT LEAVE THE BUILDING unless instructed to do so by university administration or Residential Life Staff. Move immediately into the designated areas of your residence hall indicated below. During severe weather, you should not be near any outside windows or doors if possible. The locations listed for these facilities are considered to be the safest location for that building. Please remain in these locations until you are given the ALL CLEAR signal; the Residence Director will notify the students of the ALL CLEAR signal.

ARC: Basement Lobby
East Devereaux: Apartment basement or closet
HRA: Closet underneath your stairs
HRD: 1st Floor Hallways
Kerr: Basement
Midland Apts.: Downstairs Bathroom/Hallway
MacArthur Apts.: Downstairs Bathroom/Hallway
TRC: 1st Floor Hallway
WMU: Basement
WUA: Downstairs Bathroom/Hallway
Married Housing: Downstairs/Center Apartment

When possible and safe to do so, residents of East Dev, HRC, Mac, TRC, WUA, Midland, and Married Housing will be taken to the basement of Raley Chapel for shelter.
The Residential Life Staff will direct all students to take cover any time there is a tornado warning in the vicinity.
It is important that residents understand the difference between a watch and a warning.

A watch means that conditions are conducive to the development of the type of storm in question (tornado, thunderstorm, severe weather, etc.)
A warning indicates that the storm in question has been sighted by spotters or indicated on radar and is occurring or imminent in the warning areas. (See for more details.)

We recommend you take a pillow or blanket with you in the event of a tornado siren; these items should be used to cover your head from potential flying debris.

d) Emergency Room Visits

If you ever have a serious and immediate illness/injury while on or off campus, you should make contact with an RA or the RD before going to the Emergency Room. The emergency room is located one block northwest of campus. The RA/RD will bring your health card with your health insurance information and go to the ER with you. This assistance will greatly help you during the check-in process at the ER. Additionally, contacting the RA/RD may prove helpful to you since the RD will be in contact with your professors. You should remember that a visit to the ER will not excuse you from your academic responsibility. The Residential Life Staff, however, seeks to assist you in difficult circumstances such as these.

e) Health Insurance Information

Each resident is required to fill out a health information card upon checking into university housing. All information on these cards is required. Many times students are unfamiliar with information such as the policy number of their health insurance. Therefore, we encourage you to obtain either a copy of your parent's insurance card or your own personal insurance card.
Some students may not have health insurance upon arrival to campus. We encourage you to purchase health insurance. If you do not have any health insurance, student rate insurance is available through the Student Development Office (GC 209).

f) Theft

Any theft should be reported upon discovery to your Residence Director or RA and to OBU Campus Safety (x6000). There are several precautions that residents can take to lessen the possibility of theft:

  • Dorm room doors should be locked anytime the residents are not in the room. Apartment doors should be locked at all times (both when residents are away from the apartment and when they are present in the apartment). Residents should keep their keys with them at all times, even when going to the shower or going to eat and even if a roommate is in the room and is not expected to leave during this time.
  • Room doors should be locked when residents are asleep. (Some thieves, knowing that many students are sound sleepers, may be brave enough to enter rooms while the residents are asleep.)
  • Valuables should be kept locked and out of sight.
  • Residents should practice being their "neighbor's keeper." This can be done by knowing the other residents on the hall and by immediately reporting to OBU Campus Safety (x6000) and the Residence Hall Staff any suspicious person(s) seen wandering in the residential areas.
  • Lost keys should be reported to the RA Desk immediately.
  • Lost ID cards should be reported to the Dean of Students Office or your RD immediately.

It is important for you to be aware that the university is not responsible for the loss/damage or money, valuables, or other personal effects. OBU strongly encourages all campus residents to secure renter's insurance on their property. Some home owner's insurance will cover such property. Discuss this issue with your parents. They can talk with their insurance agent about how you are covered or what you need to do to secure such coverage. Please visit with your RD or the Residential Life office if you have questions about this very important issue.

g) Emergency Numbers

Campus Safety: x6000
Campus Nurse: x2422
Shawnee Police: 9-911
(non-emergency: 9-273-2121)
Shawnee Fire Department: 9-911
(non-emergency: 9-878-1671)
Shawnee Ambulance: 9-911
Sheriff's Office: 9-273-1727
Poison Control Center: 9-271-5454