New Roof for OBUís Oldest Structure
March 21, 2011
Stubblefield Chapel, the oldest building on OBU's campus, had a new roof installed this month. Built in 1897, the chapel was the original home of Shawnee’s First Baptist Church. Baptists from across the Oklahoma Territory met at the church to form the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma in 1906. The building was moved from downtown Shawnee to OBU’s campus in 1963 and is used for student meetings and special events. It was renamed to honor Cortez Stubblefield, a pioneer pastor and denominational statesman.