Oklahoma Baptist University

Working On and Off Campus

F-1 Students are allowed to work on campus for up to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and full time during breaks. A student must have a social security card before beginning to work.

OPT - What is it?

OPT stands for Optional Practical Training.

  • It is normally for students who have completed a bachelors or masters degree and would like to stay in the United States for one year after their degree to gain work experience.

OPT - How do I apply?

In Order to apply for OPT you must:

  1. Make an appointment to visit with the International Office
    • Bring with you a degree check showing that you will graduate within that semester.
  2. Whitney will walk you through the application process. It is best to apply between 2 and 3 months of degree completion.
  3. Once you have collected all of the required documents you must return to the International Office for final approval and a new I-20 before mailing in your application.

You can see more details on the application for an OPT

CPT - What is it?

CPT is Curricular Practical Training.

  • The Purpose of CPT is to allow students who need an internship or practicum as an “integral part of their curriculum” to be paid for their time if the situation permits.

CPT - How do I apply?

  1. You must schedule an appointment with the International Office
    • You need to bring a degree plan showing the class you wish to enroll in that requires a practicum signed by your advisor.
  2. Once it has been proved that this practicum is for a necessary class for your degree you will be issued a new I-20 with CPT approval.
  3. You will be able to work off campus for your practicum during the dates listed on the third page of your I-20.