Dr. Lee Hinson
Professor of Church Music
Coordinator, Church Music Department
- Raley Chapel 128
- OBU Box 61191
Dr. Hinson has served as a worship leader in local churches, both part-time and full-time, for almost 30 years. For six years before coming to OBU he was director of the church music program at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Kansas City, Missouri, succeeding Dr. A. L. "Pete" Butler in that position. He also spent a year prior to serving Midwestern working as the Small Church and Associational Music Consultant for LifeWay Christian Resources.
Dr. Hinson has been writing about church music and worship since 1993 and has had articles published in periodicals such as The Choral Journal, Church Musician Today, and the Midwestern Journal of Theology. The latter publication contains his recent article, "Leadership of the Church Choir: An Examination of the Connection to Biblical and Historical Models with Implications for the 21st Century." For seven years, he has been the regular writer for the opening article of The Music Stand, a choir directors' quarterly magazine contained in the Glory Songs Kit published by LifeWay Church Resources. Soon to be published will be a chapter in a festschrift honoring the retirement Dr. Harry Eskew from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. The chapter is titled "In Defense of Change: Crucible of the Church's Song."
Dr. Hinson is an active supply worship leader and conference leader, and is a member of Immanuel Baptist Church in Shawnee.
He and his wife, Jan, have two children, Susan and Sam.
- B.M.E., Baylor University
- M.M., East Texas State University (now Texas A & M, Commerce)
- M.A.R.E., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- D.M.A., New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- Dissertation: "An Investigation of Common Stylistic Traits Found in Selected Sacred Choral Works of Randall Thompson and Virgil Thomson"
- CHMU 1000 Fellowship of Church Musicians
- CHMU 1703 Leading Contemporary Worship
- CHMU 2011 Handbell Techniques
- CHMU 2100 Introduction to Church Music
- CHMU 2381 Church Music Administration
- CHMU 3492 Youth and Adult Music Ministry
- CHMU 3703 Corporate Worship I
- CHMU 3713 Corporate Worship II
- CHMU 4501 Issues in Church Music
- CHMU 4732 Music Ministry Internship
- FNAR 2063 Arts and Western Culture
- MUOR 1109 University Ringers
- American Choral Directors Association
- Handbell Musicians of America
- Baptist Church Music Conference
- Singing Churchmen of Oklahoma
- The CenturyMen
Selected Articles from The Music Stand
"Teaching Music to Your Choir: Part One, How Do They Learn?" (Winter 2002-2003)
"Teaching Music to Your Choir: Part Two, Using Their Learning Styles" (Spring 2003)
"Keys to a More Complete Choir Rehearsal - Part One, Discipleship" (Spring 2004)
"Keys to a More Complete Choir Rehearsal - Part Two, Musicianship" (Summer 2004)
"Keys to a More Complete Choir Rehearsal - Part Three, Fellowship" (Fall 2004)
"Practice Tips for Practice Tracks" (Winter 2004-2005)
"The Arch-Shaped Rehearsal: A Plan for Effective Choir Practice" (Spring 2006)
"Conducting Your Choir: Part Four, Releases" (Summer 2007)