Dr. D. Brent Ballweg
Burton H. Patterson Professor of Music
Director of Choral Activities
- Raley Chapel 126
- OBU Box 61163
D. Brent Ballweg is the Burton H. Patterson Professor of Music in the Warren M. Angell College of Fine Arts at Oklahoma Baptist University where he conducts the University Chorale and Bison Glee Club. Additionally, he teaches courses in conducting and music history. Previously, he held college and university conducting positions in Oklahoma, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, and Missouri and has served as the artistic director and conductor of the Plano (TX) Civic Chorus, assistant director of the Kansas City Symphony Chorus, and founder and director of the Northeast Arkansas Chorale.
In 1986, Dr. Ballweg won first place in a national choral conducting competition held in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1996, he was invited to represent the United States as a participant in a conducting masterclass at the International Federation for Choral Music Fourth World Symposium on Choral Music and World Choirs Festival held in Sydney, Australia, and in 1997 was invited to conduct in masterclasses with the Phoenix Bach Choir at the Southwest Conductor's Symposium. In January 2008, he made his NYC Carnegie Hall conducting debut with MidAmerica Productions. Ensembles under Ballweg’s direction have performed as invited honor choirs for the Oklahoma Music Educators Association Conference and have toured to Austria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Mexico, and Russia.
Professionally, Dr. Ballweg has served as the American Choral Directors Association National Chair for Two-Year College Choirs and as Past President of the ACDA Southwestern Division, Oklahoma Choral Directors Association, and Texas Two-Year College Choral Directors Association. He remains active as a guest conductor, clinician, and adjudicator for various music contests, festivals, and workshops across the country.
- B.M., Oklahoma Baptist University
- M.M., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
- D.M.A., University of Missouri-Kansas City Conservatory of Music
- MUOR 1069: University Chorale
- MUOR 1049: Bison Glee Club
- MUSC 3202 History of Music and Art I
- MUSC 3213 History of Music and Art II
- MUSC 3412: Conducting 1
- Private Conducting
- American Choral Directors Association
- Oklahoma Choral Directors Association
- International Federation for Choral Music
- National Collegiate Choral Organization
- Music Educators National Conference
- Oklahoma Music Educators Association
- Singing Churchmen of Oklahoma