Oklahoma Baptist University

The Green Book

3) Residence Hall Information

* See the Residential Life Handbook for a more detailed treatment of housing related issues.*

a) Residence Hall Information And Regulations

A long-standing tradition of Oklahoma Baptist University has been the provision of a residential campus. This position has been affirmed through research, which reveals that if students remain in campus housing they are more likely to complete their college education, develop a stronger sense of spiritual formation, participate in campus activities, adjust to various social situations, and establish life-long friendships with students and faculty. Local surveys have shown that a majority of students surveyed prefer life on campus in apartment-type dwellings, but are concerned about cost of living. Additional research reflects the costs associated with off-campus housing frequently are greater, and many expenses are "hidden" that are absorbed in the overall costs. Frequent problems related to transportation, class attendance, care and maintenance of the housing unit, and choice of roommates are reported by students who reside in off-campus housing.

Additional studies of housing requirements in private institutions in Oklahoma and Southern Baptist institutions in other states reflect a pattern consistent with University regulations and policies. Many of the institutions which provide adequate housing for all full-time students to reside in campus facilities until graduation, and those who allow students to reside off campus prior to age twenty-one (21) or graduation usually are unable to provide housing beyond the sophomore year.

Oklahoma Baptist University shall continue the commitment made to Oklahoma Baptists to provide a residential campus, thus students who choose to reside in off-campus housing without University approval will be subject to disciplinary action which may include suspension from the University.

All unmarried students who are enrolled in eight or more hours must reside in University housing except students who:

1. reside with parent(s) or immediate family or in property owned by the student or parent(s); proof of ownership is required;
2. secure employment for which payment is, or includes housing on the business premises; student must provide proof of employment, that housing is a required condition of employment, and that the housing is owned or leased/rented by the business;
3. have attained the age of 21, or shall during the semester for which the request is made*; or,
4. have attained senior status (a minimum of 90 credit hours) prior to the semester for which the request is made*.

*The latter two requirements are contingent upon the student being in good standing with the University.

Students may request permission to reside off campus by completing an "Off-Campus Exemption Form," which must be approved by both the Dean of Students and the Assistant Dean of Students. It is an element of University educational philosophy that students reside on campus during the earlier years of their University experience; thus exceptions to the policy will only be granted to those few "extremely unusual circumstances" which make living off campus necessary for the student's well-being. Permission to reside off campus may be canceled if conditions warrant resulting from behavior not consistent with University philosophy as expressed in institutional policies.

b) Residence Hall Information

i) Housing Visiting Hours

The closing hour of University housing is 1 a.m. nightly.

Residents returning to University housing units after closing hour must use these designated entrances:

WMU Dormitory: Front (east) door
Kerr Dormitory: Front (south main) door
Agee Residence Center: North and South second floor lobby doors
Taylor Residence Center: Front (south) door

Use of, or assisting other(s) to use entries to housing units other than the designated door can result in disciplinary action. Entrance-exit doors in all University housing units are locked from closing hour until 7 a.m.

Although University policy permits on-campus students to enter/exit their respective residential units at any time, entrances/exits of all housing units are secured from 1 a.m. to 7 a.m. Residents and/or guests of WMU, Kerr, Howard Residence Center, Taylor Residence Center, and Agee Residence Center must, upon entering or departing, sign the log maintained by Residence Hall Security and furnish identification upon request. Residence Directors check these logs each morning. Only specified doors in these residence halls are to be used by the residents during these hours

ii) Disciplinary Curfew

Students may be placed on curfew as a result of disciplinary action. Room check is a consequence of curfew. The Resident Assistant (student staff) is required to check the rooms of those under curfew each night and report unaccounted absences to the Residence Director. The Residence Director is required to attempt to locate the student who is absent from the assigned room and notify the Assistant Dean of Students. The student is expected to be in his/her assigned room at the time of room check (between five (5) and fifteen (15) minutes after curfew begins); the student is expected to leave a note telling of the room and extension where he/she can be located; or, the student is expected to call the Resident Assistant and to receive a verification call in return. It is possible to satisfy room check without entering the resident's room; but, if in the performance of this duty, the Resident Assistant notes that regulations are being abridged, evidence so obtained is admissible in a disciplinary hearing, and such acquisition of evidence does not violate the room search policy. More information regarding discipline can be found in the Discipline Section.

iii) Overnight Absences

Students are required to maintain residence in their assigned housing units. Students exercising Extended Curfew Privileges are expected to return to their respective housing units before 7 a.m.

A student who plans to be absent from the assigned housing unit for one (1) or more nights must notify the Residence Director or the Resident Assistant of this intention before closing hour on the day of departure and provide the Residence Director or the Resident Assistant with a completed signout form available in the Residence Hall Office or from the Residence Director.

There is no penalty if a student signs out for an overnight absence but returns before the closing hour of the housing unit.

iv) Quiet Hours

Residents should observe and respect quiet hours (10 p.m. until 10 a.m. on weeknights/midnight to noon on weekends) to permit students to rest or to study without being disturbed. At all times, the residents shall keep noise at a reasonable and prudent level. Residents are reminded that they are expected to be responsible and courteous to people around them.

Residents of each floor are expected to deal with any problems of noise that may arise through communication, floor meetings, or consultation with the Resident Assistant. If a problem persists, residents who violate quiet hours are subject to disciplinary action.

Vocal practice and instrumental playing is not permitted at any time. There are no "playing fields" within the housing facilities, therefore, games requiring physical activity must be played outside the building.

v) Appliances

The following electrical appliances are permitted: desk lamps, computers, radios, stereos, television, clocks, irons, razors, blankets, toothbrushes, refrigerators, and coffee makers with automatic shutoff.

Radios, stereos, and televisions must be operated at volume levels which do not disturb other residents.

Hot pots, hot plates, microwave ovens, toasters, and similar appliances are not permitted in Agee, Kerr, Taylor, WMU, or Howard residence halls. Refrigerators must not exceed 5 cu. ft. nor use more than 2 amps.

vi) Furniture

An inventory of the furnishings and the state of repair is taken at the start of each year and maintained by the Residence Director. Residents are advised to check the inventory and conditions of the room and furnishings with the Resident Assistant when the room is first occupied. No furniture may be removed from the room unless permission is granted by the Residence Director.

A room/apartment must be acceptably clean when the resident moves from it, or the cost of cleaning will be charged to the resident. Charges for damages, losses, and cleaning will be billed to the student accounts.

These suggestions can be helpful in maintaining rooms and facilities:

1. Bathrooms (except for suites in Agee and Howard Dorms and all apartment bathrooms) are cleaned by the housekeeping staff. Residents can assist the staff and benefit themselves by placing refuse in proper containers and by leaving the facilities in good condition for the next user. Residents should not put personal trash in the bathroom trash cans.
2. Residents are requested to turn off lights to conserve energy when leaving their rooms. Replacement light bulbs may be obtained by submitting a work order via email to the Physical Plant.
3. Nails, screws, or tape are not to be used to hang items on walls. Residents are liable for damages to their rooms resulting from the use of these or other adhesive materials.
4. Each resident is responsible for his/her window screens. Residents will be charged for screens which are missing or damaged. Only in the event of an emergency (fire) should the screens be removed.
5. Each resident is responsible for the contents of his/her room/apartment. Furniture, mattresses, blinds, etc. shall not be moved from the room without prior written permission from the director of the facility.

vii) Housing Assignments

Housing assignments are the responsibility of the Assistant Dean of Students. Residents are required to file housing requests for each semester of occupancy. Assignments are based on classification, citizenship, institutional needs, GPA, and length of time the student has lived on campus at OBU. See the Residential Life Handbook for Fall 2005 Housing Sign Up Guidelines.

viii) Room Changes

The Residential Life staff is committed to Christian reconciliation. Room changes will not be granted automatically. Each resident will participate in a reconciliation process in order to promote learning and growth. If a resident desires a room/apartment change, the proper paperwork must be filled out by all parties involved. The resident must go by the RA desk or the Residential Life Office and pick up a "Request for Housing Change" form. Approval must be made by the Assistant Dean of Students before anyone can move. Moving without permission will result in your room change being denied and you will be required to return to your assigned room.

ix) Privacy

The University defines the procedural aspects of the right of housing residents to privacy in the Residential Life Agreement Form which each resident is required to read and sign when checking into the housing unit. Generally, search of rooms/apartments must be conducted for cause and approved by designated University officers. The University reserves the right of periodic inspection of room conditions and refrigerator contents by housing staff.

x) Private Rooms

The resident's room charge is based on double occupancy (two [2] to a room, four [4] to an apartment). When a residence hall room or an apartment bedroom is occupied by one (1) student only, an additional charge is added to the student's bill. Private rooms are usually unavailable at the beginning of the fall term.

It is the responsibility of the student to secure a roommate. Failure to do so will result in the student being charged for a private room.

If a resident's roommate moves from the room during a semester, the person remaining shall have the option of accepting another (double occupancy) room, or paying the single occupancy rate on a pro-rated basis.

xi) Protection of Personal Property

The University is not responsible for the loss/damage of money, valuables, or other personal effects. Residents should keep their rooms locked at all times. Immediately report any loss of property to the Resident Assistant or to the Residence Director. A written report of the loss should be submitted to the Residence Director as soon as possible. OBU strongly encourages all campus residents to obtain renter's insurance on their personal property.

xii) Public Rooms

Study lounges, conference, recreational, weight, exercise, and laundry rooms are provided for the convenience of on-campus residents. Care of the furnishings and considerate use of these and other public areas are responsibilities of each resident. Irresponsible behavior in and/or physical abuse of these facilities can result in assessment of penalties and/or banishment from the facility.

Food and drinks with lids are allowed in residence hall lobbies.

xiii) Vacating of Room

Each resident who moves into OBU housing is obligated to pay the housing charges for the entire semester. Exceptions to this policy apply to students who withdraw from the University or receive exemption from the Assistant Dean of Students. When vacating a residence hall room or apartment, each resident must:

1. Remove all personal items and clean room/apt.
2. Return all keys to the RA Desk and sign appropriate paperwork.
3. Provide a forwarding address to the OBU Mail Room.
4. Confirm that any needed housing for future terms has been obtained.

xiv) Storage

The University has very little storage space for students. It is recommended that students utilize local storage facilities for summer storage and to store items that will not fit in their room during the academic year. Storage areas are provided in housing units as follows:

WMU: basement (for current residents during their occupancy)
WUA:Storage room in Center Building and Storage closets in Apartments 1-24

All items must be labeled for identification before being placed in storage. Key security is maintained by housing staff, but residents are reminded that the University does not assume any responsibility for personal belongings. All items stored during an academic year must be removed by September 1 of the following academic year unless the owner is still a resident of the University owned housing. If items are not removed, they will be disposed of at the discretion of the Residence Director.

xv) Fire Precautions

In the event of fire, residents are reminded to use the stairs leading to the nearest exit. The door and windows to the room should be closed before departing. To help prevent fire, residents are requested to observe the following precautions:

1. Do not overload or abuse electrical outlets.
2. Check appliance cords for frayed or worn areas.
3. Refrain from activities which involve fire or flame.
4. Utilize surge protectors, not extension cords.

Fire equipment is provided on each floor for the protection of human life and property. Tampering or playing with the fire fighting equipment and/or alarms is a violation of local, state, and/or federal laws. Section 10-56 of the Shawnee City Code reads: "Whoever in this city shall give or sound a false alarm of fire, without reasonable or probable cause, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined in any sum not to exceed one hundred dollars, plus costs." Further, such event shall result in disciplinary action, including, but not limited to disciplinary probation or disciplinary dismissal. Resident Assistants will provide additional specific instructions of procedures in the cases of fire or tornado warnings in floor meetings.

xvi) Accidents/Emergencies

In an emergency involving a student he/she should contact the appropriate Residence Director or R.A. to alert him/her of the situation. If the Director or R.A. determines that the police, fire department, or ambulance service should be contacted, the agency will be contacted immediately by the staff member. Campus Safety also will be notified by the staff member.

Students who find themselves in a "life threatening" situation, or observe such an incident, should immediately call the appropriate agency (9-911), followed immediately by calling the Residence Director or R.A., who should be responsible for contacting Campus Safety.

A report of any accident or emergency which occurs at any time is to be reported at once to the Residence Director. If the Residence Director is unavailable, a report is to be made to the Assistant Dean of Students, another Residence Director, or the Dean of Students.

xvii) Illness

If a resident becomes ill, the Residence Director and/or R.A. should be notified immediately. In case of illness, it is possible to obtain a sick tray from the cafeteria. A tray slip is available from the R.A. desk in each housing facility. If a resident contracts a communicable disease, the continuation of the person in the residence hall during the period of contagion must be approved through the Assistant Dean of Students.

Students are expected to be faithful in class attendance. If a student offers illness or participation in an official University activity as an excuse for absences from class, the instructor may elect to require additional work to compensate for class absences. The illness or absence due to participation in an official University activity must be properly attested by a faculty sponsor or University physician, nurse, residence director or parent (for illness). The student is responsible for assuming the initiative to ensure that course work is not adversely affected by absence, for whatever cause. The student must notify the Residence Director and/or the Assistant Dean of Students when desiring to be placed on the sick list, which does not serve as an excused absence from classes or required activities.

xviii) Visitors

Visitors of the opposite sex are not allowed in residence hall rooms, apartment bedrooms, or restricted areas except at designated times, e.g., open house, or by permission from the Residence Director. The student host/hostess must be in the apartment when a guest of the opposite sex is present. Residents' family members may visit in restricted areas of housing units at the discretion of the Residence Director. Residents are responsible for their visitors and their actions. Student visitors also are liable to disciplinary action for violation of regulations.

xix) Overnight Guests

Residents are permitted to have overnight guests of the same sex. The guest(s) must be15 years of age or older and must be registered at the Residence Hall Office or with the Residence Director. All guests are subject to approval by the Residence Director. Guests should not extend their visit to inconvenience the roommate(s) or other residents. Guests are discouraged during exam week. The OBU resident is responsible for the behavior of a non-student guest including the serving of penalties for infractions committed by the non-student guest.

Guests may stay two nights free during any given week. A charge of $5 per night will be assessed for visits over two nights. The student host/hostess should be in the room/apartment where a guest is visiting.

Resident students are expected to maintain residence in their assigned room; however, they may spend the night in other residence hall rooms of the same sex if it does NOT inconvenience the roommate(s) of the host/hostess. Students spending the night in rooms other than their assigned room are considered guests and are responsible for their own behavior and any infractions of regulations. The student must sign out overnight in his/her own residence hall and be approved by the Residence Director where he/she is visiting.

Babysitting is not permitted in OBU residence halls or apartments.

xx) Guest Rooms

Guest rooms in WMU, Kerr, and Agee Residence Center are available to families of residents and to University guests. Reservation of a guest room can be made by calling the Office of Residential Life at (405) 878-2406 during office hours Monday through Friday. Each of the guest rooms may be rented for $25 per night. Guest rooms are only available after the beginning of the academic year and only when the dorms are open for residents.

xxi) Laundry Facilities

Coin-operated washers and dryers are available in all housing units. These appliances are located in the basements of Agee, WMU, and Kerr. They are located in the center building of West University Apartments and in the laundry room at Howard Complex, Midland Apartments, East Devereaux Apartments, and Taylor Residence Center. Laundry facilities are provided for the use of current housing residents only.

xxii) Cooking/Preparation of Meals

Cooking and/or preparation of meals in residence hall rooms or apartment bedrooms is prohibited. Only approved appliances may be kept in the residence hall rooms in Agee, WMU, Kerr, Taylor, and Howard Dorm. No other cooking or heating appliances are permitted. Apartment residents are not permitted to provide meals to friends on a continuing basis in apartments. This restriction does not preclude occasional guests provided that apartment mates are not inconvenienced.

xxiii) Dress

Members of the University community are expected to be appropriately dressed at all times. Footwear must be worn in all public facilities, including public rooms in University housing.

xxiv) Incense/Incendiary Devices

Because of the danger involved, the use of incendiary (flame or explosion producing) devices is prohibited in residence halls and apartments. The use of incense in University housing is prohibited because of allergies and consequent complaints. Students are fined $50 per open flame for violations of this policy.

xxv) Pets

No animals (except for fish) are to be kept by students in residence halls or on campus. Students are fined $50 per incident for violations of this policy.

xxvi) Sales in Housing / Solicitors

Sale of food or other products by members of chartered campus organizations is permitted provided that permission is obtained from the Office of Residential Life at least twenty-four (24) hours before the desired time of sales. Failure to comply with guidelines can result in withdrawal of sales opportunities and disciplinary action. Solicitation of and sales efforts directed toward students on campus must be authorized by the Assistant Dean of Students. Residents should report immediately the presence of unauthorized solicitors or salesmen, or those exceeding the limits of authorization to the Residence Director or the Assistant Dean of Students. Door-to-door solicitation is not allowed. This restriction is not intended to limit the right of OBU students to canvass or solicit support on campus for religious or political causes and candidates. However, all soliciting/canvassing must be approved through the Student Development or Residential Life offices.

xxvii) Tobacco Use / Smoking

The Board of Trustees has adopted the following Tobacco-Free Environment Policy concerning the use of tobacco on campus:

In keeping with the mission and purpose of the University, and in order to encourage a clean and healthy environment, Oklahoma Baptist University promotes a tobacco-free environment on campus. The use of tobacco in any form is expressly forbidden in all campus facilities.

xxviii) Telephones / Long Distance Calls

Each residence hall and apartment is supplied with telephone service for use of the students. There is no charge for local calls. A student may obtain an "Authorization Code" from the Business Office which will permit direct-dial long-distance toll calls. It is the student's responsibility to maintain the confidentiality of the assigned code number. A limited number of telephones are available to be checked out at the RA desk.

Each month, the student will receive from the Business Office a statement of long-distance charges. The amount must be paid in full within ten (10) days. Students with telephone accounts thirty (30) days past due will be denied access to long-distance lines. Past-due long-distance charges will be transferred to the student's tuition account and will bear interest at the rate of l.25% per month. A service charge of $10 must be paid before an Authorization Code will be reactivated. Issuance of an Authorization Code by the University is an extension of credit and may be withdrawn at any time for non-payment or abuse of the telephone system.

xxix) Residential Life Handbook

Please refer to the Residential Life Handbook for a more thorough treatment of Residential Life issues. This handbook is provided to each resident via the OBU website at www.okbu.edu/campuslife. All residents are responsible for the information on this website.

xxx) Loftbed / Cinderblock Policy

OBU prohibits the use of cinderblocks in all University-owned housing. This policy is in place to protect the safety of the students and the property of the University. In addition, OBU limits the height of loftbeds. The sleeping surface of these beds must not exceed 6 feet. Furthermore, students are not permitted to remove the University-provided bed (or any other University-provided furniture) from the room. The University discourages the use of loftbeds and reserves the right to inspect and reject any loftbed placed in University-owned housing.

Share This Page: