Dr. Kaylene Barbe
Professor of Communication Studies
View full faculty roster
Strategic Communication is part of the Communication Arts division in the College of Fine Arts.
My degree options:
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Strategic Communication
What makes an OBU Strategic Communication degree special?
Strategic communication prepares students for careers in public relations, advertising, marketing and sales. Our students learn the fundamental skills of communication while studying in a converged model incorporating electronic production, applied communication, news and information, and theatre arts courses.
What are OBU grads doing with their Strategic Communication degrees?
Our recent grads in STCM are finding work in various fields. Recent jobs include:
- Tinker Air Force Base Marketing Specialist
- Allied Arts in OKC
- W1 in Tennessee as a Communications Specialist
- Jasco Products as Media Coordinator
- Limited Corporation as Contract Marketing Coordinator
- Award Solutions as Editor/Graphic Artist
- International Academy of Design & Technology in Chicago
- Children's Medical Research Institute in OKC
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in OKC
What courses can I take?
You will take classes in writing both for print and non print production, learn to run campaigns in the capstone class, study outstanding campaigns and cases in PR Case Studies, and get real work experience in STCM internships.
What do OBU Strategic Communication faculty specialize in?
You can receive practical experience by working on the campus newspaper, yearbook, and News30. Internships are also available and provide valuable learning situations.