Dr. Robbie Henson
Professor of Nursing
View full faculty roster
The OBU College of Nursing is a baccalaureate program for the preparation of a professional nurse.
My degree options:
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.N.) in Nursing
What makes an OBU Nursing degree special?
The OBU nursing degree is a BSN (not an associate degree). This degree prepares one to practice nursing as a RN in any state in the U.S. and in most areas of nursing. At OBU we integrate Christian faith with nursing practice. We see nursing as a ministry and a calling. Our NCLEX pass rate is consistently above the state and national average.
What are OBU grads doing with their Nursing degrees?
Most OBU nurses work in hospitals in a variety of areas (medical-surgical units, maternal child units, surgical units, pediatric units, psychiatric-mental health units, intensive care areas) right out of school. Many continue their education by obtaining a MSN after a couple of years. We have graduates who are teaching in nursing programs in the Oklahoma City area and in other areas of Oklahoma. We have one who is working in Washington, D.C. in health care policy, one who is the Chief Operating Officer of Nurse-Family Partnerships (home visitation company), and several who have completed law school to practice as a nurse-attorney.
What courses can I take?
Some of the courses you will take are Microbiology, Care of Families, Psychopathology, and Health Care Management.
What do OBU Nursing faculty specialize in?
- Dr. Lana Bolhouse--chemical dependency, management
- Janice Carr
- Karen Cotter--medical-surgical nursing, management
- Dr. Robbie Henson--medical-surgical nursing, complex care (ICU, ER, etc.)
- Martha Hernandez--psych-mental health, gerontology
- Leslie Hobbs
- Dr. Jasmin Johnson--medical-surgical nursing, nutrition, and complex care
- Joe Rawdon
- Valarie Watts--community, well child
- Dawn Westbrook--maternal child, medical-surgical nursing
Each J-term, the Nursing department takes a group to Mexico. Students must be either Juniors or Seniors in the nursing program.