Dr. Casey Gerber
Assistant Professor of Music Education
View full faculty roster
Music Education is part of the Music Division in the College of Fine Arts.
My degree options:
- (B.M.E.): Vocal PK-12
- (B.M.E.): Instrumental PK-12
What makes an OBU Music Education degree special?
Students in the music education degree program are prepared and certified to teach PK-12 vocal or instrumental music in public schools. Due to the excellent preparation and unique degree program opportunities, OBU music education graduates are in high demand, and have enjoyed a 100% job placement rate for many years. Both the instrumental and vocal music education degrees offer numerous on-campus training opportunities for future music teachers which enhance their preparation for student teaching and future job placement.
What do OBU Music Education faculty specialize in?
- Introduction to Music Education
- General Music Methods for Grades 6-12
- Elementary Vocal Methods
- Secondary Vocal Methods
- Vocal Music Student Teacher Supervision
- Young Singers of Central Oklahoma
Features of the OBU Music Education Degree:
- Internship program with the Young Singers of Central Oklahoma, a community based choral music program for area students ages 7-18. OBU students come to weekly rehearsals and serve in various capacities as student conductors, assistants and accompanists. In addition, students enrolled in music education methods classes are assigned to present teaching demonstrations twice each semester with one of the choirs. This provides an ideal hands-on learning experience for music education majors as they prepare for student teaching future careers as music teachers.
- Opportunities to teach private lessons through the OBU Preparatory Department.
- Automatic enrollment as members of the National Association for Music Education, the largest and most prominent professional music education organization, as well as the state affiliation, Oklahoma Music Educators Association.
- Student teaching with master teachers in the Shawnee, Norman and Oklahoma City areas
- Participation and observation in junior high and high school instrumental and vocal events hosted by the music department (OBU Honor Band, State Instrumental Solo and Ensemble, Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association State Vocal Contest, Circle the State With Song Elementary Choral Festival)
Preparatory Department (Young Singers of Oklahoma)