Instrumental Music Audition Requirements for Division of Music Admission and Scholarships
All prospective music majors must complete a music application and audition for the music faculty!
Wind and String Instruments
- Winds only: play a chromatic scale the full range of the instrument.
- Major ScalesWinds: C,F, B-flat, E-flat, A-Flat, D-flat, G, and D (concert keys)Strings: C, G, C, A, E, F, B-flat and E-flat (3 octaves)
- Perform a prepared solo or two etudes of contrasting styles; may be done with orwithout accompaniment.
- You will be given examples to sight read.
- Perform one etude each on snare drum, timpani, and mallet/keyboard instrument.
- Be prepared to perform any of the Thirteen Snare Drum Rudiments.
- Play all of the above listed scales for Winds on a mallet instrument.
- You will be given examples to sight read on each instrument.
*Those desiring to audition for the Jazz Orchestra should be prepared to play an appropriate selection from the High School Jazz Ensemble folder. Those desiring to play drum set should be able to play several styles including swing, bossanove, sambe, and shuffle.
To schedule an audition or for more information please contact:OBU Division of Music405.878.2305
Instrumental Music CoordinatorDr. Kevin Pruiett, Associate Professor of Musickevin.email@example.com