James VernonProfessor of Music Raley Chapel 205E405.585.4325 OBU Box 61236500 W. UniversityShawnee, OK 74804
James Vernon, Professor of Music, teaches courses in music composition, music theory, and fine arts courses (music and art for Common Core). In addition to these duties, he is the musical director of The Bisonettes, OBU’s Women’s Glee Club. He has composed works for instrumental, choral, and vocal idioms, as well as music for stage play productions. Vernon’s compositions have been performed throughout the United States and parts of Europe.
Vernon is a member of the Society of Composers and the College Music Society. He also serves as an accreditation visitor for the National Association of Schools of Music. Vernon holds degrees from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas, where he completed the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in 1990. He has done additional study at the University of North Texas.
A native of Chesapeake, Virginia, he lives in Shawnee with his wife, Lisa, a home health/hospice nurse. Their daughter, Meredith, is a medical student at the University of Oklahoma. His hobbies include reading and bicycling.
Educational Background:B.A., Old Dominion UniversityM.M., Southwestern Baptist Theological SeminaryD.M.A., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Courses Taught:Private and Class Music CompositionWritten and Aural Music Theory CoursesArts and Western Culture
Selected Publications and/or Professional Activities:Recent Compositions:
- A Thousand Tongues of Immortality for Soprano, Cello, and Piano
- A Love Song for T.T.B.B. Men's Voices a capella (poetry by OBU professor Benjamin Myers)
- Magnificat for S.S.A.A. Women's Voices with Piano and Percussion
- The Glow From That Fire for Mixed Chorus , Alto Solo, Narrator, and Orchestra (premiere April 2013)
- Three Sacred Songs for Soprano Voice and Piano
- Rules and Regulations for Tenor Voice and Piano
- Quints for Clarinet , Bass Clarinet, Piano, and Percussion
Memberships:College Music SocietySociety of ComposersBroadcast Music, Inc.NASM Accreditation Visitor